Saturday, December 19, 2015

A Sensible Suggestion Prevailed




The fire is going down.  But it’s hot and the embers have latent energy that will ignite whatever is thrown on upon them.  I have some lute works of Bach strummed upon on a classical guitar sounding out now (sans commercials) from Youtube.  This suits me, sitting next to a blinking Christmas tree with the fireplace two meters in front of me.  Slowly the flames are settling, leaving nothing but the embers to glow. 



Relatives were here.  We fretted: “Where should we take them?”  “What should we do?”  We should take them to that building with a view downtown.  They’d like that.”  “They’ve never had Mexican food.”   In the end, a sensible suggestion prevailed and we spent the day at home, making dumplings, as if it were Chinese New Year.  Once we’d settled on this, everyone knew what to do.

We had to get the cabbage and the leeks and the right flour.  “Do you have vinegar?”  “Yes I’m sure we have some . . .”  “No, the special vinegar for dumplings.”  “Right.  You show me.  The market has it in the back, here.”  We got the shredded pork and I had an inspiration to ask them for a pound of shredded lamb, as well.

Grabbing some cumbers I was approached by a young lady who was hawking a marinated chestnut-like treat on toothpicks.   “That’s fine, I’d rather not try them just now.”  I said with only the most basic politeness.  “You should try these!”  She insisted, confidently. I wasn’t expecting her to be so forceful and I stopped, and now properly considered her.  She had a tray with bits that looked like black pits on a stick.  “You have a future in sales.” I told her, genuinely, noshing on the offering.  It was interesting.  “Will you buy some?” She asked and certainly more for her than the tasting affinity, I confirmed that I would and grabbed a bag.  This seemed to make her day.  She earned it. 



The fire’s all but gone now.  I can count the embers that remain alight.  Far too many dumplings slowly digesting inside me, bringing me closer and closer to a horizontal posture.  Lamp and leek!  The recipes are such that they really do evoke Shandong upon tasting.  The relatives have headed off home and we’re alone again.  I’m going out to the kitchen to get a cold dumpling. 
                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment