Wednesday, December 23, 2015

We Must Have Contributed




They’re watching reruns of  “Fresh Off the Boat” in the other room.  It a therapeutically funny view into slices of our life.  The father’s highbeam smile is caustically annoying.  The mom’s deadpan take on American life is plausible.  I’m particularly intrigued to see a period of time like the “nineties” historicized through the eyes of an adolescent who reckons with hip hop, grunge.  Once you go through youth yourself, it is difficult to gaze backward at someone else's.



I went shopping for a bicycle for Christmas today.  Buying a bike in China was once a ten-dollar affair.  You could go to a market and buy a second hand Flying Pigeon and fit right I with everyone else.   You could also go to a Giant bike shop and splurge on a hundred dollar bike.  These days, prices at a Giant bike shop start around three hundred dollars and ascend from there with three floors of specialties.



This morning we had left over dough and left over stuffing mix and we got back into making dumplings to use up all this material that was lying around.  I was disinclined to make many, as my output is usually rather unattractive.  But I sat down and got into it and was doing fairly well.  I kept the filling from slipping out rounded them off, fairly well.  On air and on the screen was 1958 footage of a Sarah Vaughan concert.  She looked lovely in her short cut.


I figured we must have contributed to the foul air outside tonight, but burning wood in the fireplace for two hours; us and everyone else.  The weekend evaporated. It was about-to-be Sunday for most of Saturday.  Now Sunday is gone.   We’ll get all the work I was going to do today, on Monday.  That’s what Monday’s are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment