Thursday, July 21, 2016

Musee des Aromes et du Parfum




We let the little one be the navigator today.  I had the map and she had the detailed instructions on what to look for when there was a turn, how many meters to go, etc.  She quickly proved her value after she corrected my incorrect turn left.  I’d been looking at the map upside down.

It is fascinating to slow one’s progression down to nearly pedestrian or perhaps equestrian, astride a bike.  Each field is clearly associated with a dwelling.  Each agricultural property is bordered by a row of trees.  We are looking for a local museum of perfume, which I believe I see as a large chateau, off in the distance.   But it’s a private road and as I make a turn it’s clear that we have much further to go till the turn off I’m looking for on the map.



After a suitably long approach up a dusty path and on to the adjacent driveway, we arrived at the Musee des Aromes et du Parfum which looks something like you might expect in a marvelous old farm house with an imposing collection of enormous copper drums with onion domed bulbs and drooping lilac drippers.  I want my girls photo before the first one but there are many more and though rusty, many are actually in service, with kindling roasting away beneath one such large copper cauldron off by the lavender garden.

My wife is in heaven.  The girls have found things they want to buy.  The little café out back does not have espresso, but rather organic smoothies.  The older blond lady is very eager to serve me more than one and we are soon bobbing around the lavender stem served with the two organic pear and orchard apple drinks. 




It’s hot this afternoon.  Back we go, the way we came.  There may be a place to eat up at what looks to be a very small town, further down the road.   

No comments:

Post a Comment