Friday, July 1, 2016

Tinny Prepubescent Barking




I needed something nice for this unpleasant ride.  It’s raining in Shanghai.  My driver suggested we head out the long way over Hangkou.  I have a very bitter memory of that method so I categorically told him “No.  It will be worse. “  I may have been right.  And for most of this ride I was certain that I was correct.  But now we have reached the turn by Putuo Qu, where I used to live, years ago and its bumper to bumper.  Whatever.  Even at this pace I’ll be alright.  I still have nearly an hour. 

Returning to the airport after multiple failed attempts to depart last night.  They cancelled things for bad weather yesterday when it didn’t rain.  Now its pouring.  Who knows when I’ll actually depart?



The cabbie is grumpy.  There is an unspoken “I told you so” vibe.  He didn't say it and I don’t particularly care, as I’ve mentioned.  He has Didi or some ride hailing app on one phone and some other mechanized voice on another.  A tinny, prepubescent barking keeps repeating an announcement that someone is paging for a ride, over and over and over.  It goes well with my headache.  Fortunately I have relief in the form of Howard McGhee.  This ‘Dusty Blue’ album from 1960 or so is just perfect.  The song of the moment goes well with the rain: “Park Avenue Petite.”



“Flyin’ Colors” is up next and its not especially in sync with the pace up here on this Shanghai artery.  McGhee understood a thing or two about headaches.  This album, glistening, moody, sophisticated from start to finish is so wonderfully approachable . Why isn’t this something everyone knows about?  I suppose in part because McGhee like so many others incapacitated himself for the next decade after its release. Well, he came to my rescue today.  

I really hope my third flight in a row isn’t cancelled this morning. 

(It was.)

No comments:

Post a Comment