Sunday, August 13, 2017

A Series of Micro Journeys




Rainy day.  Never weather we can complain about here in this city.  We almost always need water.  Let it rain. Rain meant I was the chauffeur today for a series of micro journeys I would normally insist they walk to.  These girls all got their eye brows done and their nails polished.  One got a haircut.  Mom insisted they needed to look right for the new school year.  “We’re ready!”  Go pick them up.  Go pay the bill.  “Can you please take me to my friend’s house?”  “When?”  “Now!”

I caught up on my blog all day today.  I have nearly fifty posts from the summer that need to go up.  They’re all written, which is good, but they need some editing and I need to title them, pictures must be chosen.  I made it through about half of them today.  Sometimes there is a flash and you acknowledge that you really did credibly describe something you’d lived through.  Usually though they are dutiful and evocative with a lower case “e.”



There is a brief satisfaction that accompanies each post.  It’s up.  It’s out.  And I haven’t gone this long without posting, perhaps since I started.  The summer is bloggable:  I can capture each day in writing.  But I can’t keep up a cadence of posting.  I am all but done with my teaching, nearly caught up with work, but this big payload of posting, reckoning, publishing, is long overdue.  I’m hungry for that feeling. It’s a lot of work, but I’ll move other things aside for it.




Heading now in to the city to meet a friend.  I’d tried to meet up yesterday but I had to cancel to get home and rendezvous with the family.  I had thought we’d meet in San Li Tun, which has its familiar array of possibilities.  My buddy texted and suggested late in the day that rather we meet in a mall.  Closer to my home by twenty minutes.  That’s good.  But I usually associate this mall with shopping for my daughters’ sneakers, not an atmospheric, Saturday night environment.  They’ll have a roof.  We’ll be out of the rain.



Saturday, 8/12/17


No comments:

Post a Comment