Sunday, August 13, 2017

Huabei to Huadong




Jiangsu looks wet.  That’s a merciful look.  There’s a meandering stream and all the farmland, these rice terraces look green and wet just like they are supposed to.  I imagine they have some pretty delicious northern Jiangsu dumpling-baozi hybrids that I’ve only ever had there.  They are not, however, available on the train.  Rather the hard-working ladies of the train are plying set meals in plastic and containers of grapes and cherry tomatoes from a cart.  The gentleman to my right bought himself a container of cherry tomatoes.  When he reached for them, they fell on the floor and rolled about the cabin. 

Tunji Oylana has more tunes then I recall on this “Retrospective from 1966-79."  On some of these tracks I suspect the guitar player form that other Nigerian band of that time BLO, is the one laying down the distorted fuzz guitar leads.  Normally I couldn’t listen to soulful tracks like these and work, as the lyrics would distract me.  But this is all sung in what I presume to be Yoruban, and so I’m happily oblivious to what is being said and register his fine voice as a lead instrument. 



The tomato guy has just gotten up to go the gents.  I’ll probably do the same soon.  This is a longer ride down, than the flight, certainly.  But on the balance this is more productive.  And the predictability of departing on time and arriving on time is worth a bit of trade off.  Every stop I’ve been up and out to breath the refreshing air.  The tomato guy came back.  I stood up.  But he wanted to keep moving towards the other direction?  Perhaps he’s Goldilocksing the bathrooms.   I trust he’ll find one that’s just right. 




With tomato guy gone I have an uninterrupted view of what is now a big plantation of Lotus with the leaves all sticking up from the mucky acres.  Off in the distance is a misty mountain just like you’d imagine China would have.  There are little white washed houses with black roves that you’d never see a few hours back up the line.  You’ve left Huabei and made your way into Huadong.  That village just here looked positively Japanese and by that I think I mean it suggested wealth in the countryside.  Zhao Meng Fu, the Yuan Dynasty bureaucrat, painter, would have appreciated this speed, this view of the nation from Huabei to Huadong with nothing to fret about except which dish to buy.  The country’s turned to city now.  It also looks like what you’d imagine China to look like. 



Tuesday, 8/08/17


No comments:

Post a Comment