Sunday, August 13, 2017

It’s Not Fair, But Its Fast




Sitting at the Beijing airport arrivals area Starbucks.  There is a little alleyway-like area to order drinks and an enormous pavilion out in the hall where people can sit and nurse their drinks waiting for people to arrive.  The comfy chairs are all taken.  I’m at a stool staring back at the arrival area.  Behind me the manta-maw mouth of the glass stares out and all commers to consume them.  The plane was early.  I’m here on time.  And it appears I have a long wait in front of me. 

My double espresso on the rocks is long since drained, but I place the cup of coffee-ed cubes out in front of me to assert my role as a legitimate Starbucks customer.  We chat hums:  “Oh boy”  “We’ll be here a while”  “Immigration line, longest I’ve ever seen.”  Fortunately I’ve brought a book and I break it out to the bookmarked page. 



The heroes in medieval literature fought it all in the moment.  The Lord and the Devil were just as busy in Kiev in the eleventh century as they were in Western Europe.  But Christ’s afterglow burned with a different radiance back then.  The Lord did not hesitate to interfere. The hero prays hard enough and you know the Lord is gonna show.  And mind what steps you take: the Devil’s waiting, everywhere, always in disguise, always discernable to the reader.  You don’t need to work through pages of scene-set-up in medieval literature, either.  Queen Olga wants to kill the unsuspecting suitors?  They will be buried in the trench before the paragraph’s done.  It’s not fair, but its fast.  The author isn’t particularly concerned with the protagonist’s psychological landscape.  She wanted to do it and she did.  We’re all guilty. But the holy man atones and God listens.



We chat hums.  “Mom pretended to be Chinese.  We went to the Chinese line for immigration.  We’re through. We’re on the train to get the luggage.”  They’ll be here soon.  Viking Shimon should not have taken the golden girdle “weighing fifty grivnas” nor the golden crown from the statue of Jesus.  Simple pagan.  The Lord isn’t gonna calmly sit back and let free will run its course.  No.  With the voice that leaves the Norseman on the ground for a while struck with awe, the Lord informs Shimon to go deliver the gold apparel to Reverend Father Theodosius . . .


I’ll need to put it down if I don’t want to miss them all spinning around through the customs line and out into the lobby.



Sunday,  8/06/17


No comments:

Post a Comment