Monday, April 14, 2014

Four Thumbs in Agreement




Riding out along Peaceful China Avenue, at around 7:20AM, past my daughters’ school.  Normally I’d turn left in and drop them off.  Today the gruff cab man is driving.  Clearing his throat violently.  What can you expect?  We’re right now onto Tianbei St., off to the airport.  I only just got back and I’m off over the brine again.  This time to Hong Kong. 

Surrounding the ears we’re back from Brazilian techno-samba and post-urban hip hop acid drops to solid hard bop.  I set someone up the night before on my Rdio sync so I could ingest someone new to discuss this post.  It is only second time, (that second-time-listening magic again) I’ve heard this track by Charles Tolliver, the trumpet player born in Jacksonville Florida in 1942.  Studying at Howard University, he decided to give up a career in pharmacology to pursue the horn up in New York where he lives till this day.  So glad you did.



After coming up in Jackie McLean’s band he came in to his own with his first release in 1968.  That particular disc isn’t available, but I caught up with him the next year.  This is a song suggestively titled “Plight” from the 1969 release “The Ringer.”  I feel like I’m home with this majestic, angular swing lifting me up and setting me down somewhere thoughtful, in a way I understand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Tolliver

We had a family movie over the weekend, more than one in fact and the first worked out well.  I don’t know why, but I don’t always think to watch a movie if its up to me.  Then, if I do, and we’re on a couch after diner, I end up zonking out.  This particularly if it's a Chinese film everyone’s enjoying and I’m playing catch up with the sub titles.   And if I’m all fired up for a film with thick Manchester accents, or Jamaican patois, it won’t be one that my wife wants to sit through.  But we had a good thing going Saturday night.  I’d had a nap before hand.  Huge.  The film was in Chinese and English in equal measure and, contrasted the two countries in a manner genuine and respectful.  Everyone enjoyed “Mao’s Last Dancer.”

My wife went from a small town in Shandong off to a larger provincial city around 1979 to attend a model arts academy.  She was a dancer and focused on mastering the nation’s various folk dance traditions.  Approximately two years later, a young ballet dancer from Beijing who also hailed from small town Shandong, Li Cunxin, had a chance to perform at the Houston Ballet.  Based, I’m not precisely sure just how loosely, on Mr. Li’s life, the film has him perform brilliantly, fall in love and defect to the U.S.  In the end, his parents are allowed to travel from Shandong to see him perform. 

There are many, many ways that a story like this could fall off.  On the balance though, I found the American triumphalism measured, assumed perhaps, and the depiction of Chinese people and the China’s world view, complex enough to sustain complicated characters whom I could believe.  There was the obligatory scene with the totalitarian truncheon falling as goons wrestle delicate Americans to the ground.  The naïve hero is restrained against his will as he visits the Chinese Consulate.  Is there an American left who can still enjoy undiluted haughtiness watching a nondemocratic form of government kidnap and restrain their own people?

Even here though, the Chinese come off looking practical and restrained, as the hero is released, unharmed.  And most of the movie, of course has nothing to do with this pivotal moment.  Rather, there is exquisite dancing and a plausible journey from a village that looked very, very familiar to all of us, to a dance program that my wife was uniquely capable of attesting to the veracity of, on to a journey into an America that could gobsmack a Chinese person by its undeniable physical modernity in a way that will never be the same. 



A period piece: it is humbling to consider 1981 as “pre-modern” history, but its been about thirty-five years since those waxing Reagan years.  The change in China is certainly a much more dramatic migration than the view backwards from when I was fifteen, thirty five years prior to the what the world was like for America in the late 1940’s.  My little girls labored to imagine their mom in such a school, in such a time, in such a China.  And all of us held our breath when Li Cunxin leapt up and turned again and again, 手舞足蹈[1].  Four thumbs up for “Mao’s Last Dancer” among our quartet. 



















[1] shǒuwǔzúdǎo:  hands dance and feet trip (idiom); dancing and gesticulating for joy

No comments:

Post a Comment