Friday, April 18, 2014

Kinda Vague




I’m going to be late to a meeting.  There were no cabs to be had.  Usually you just dial up the front gate and they come within minutes.  Today I fired off an email, ate a banana and was still there waiting.  This means you need to schlep out to the high street and slug it out yourself.  The assumption is that if there isn’t a cab sitting for you there, the guard out front is only ever fighting so hard on your behalf.  Sure, he’ll raise his hand if a cab flies by, but he isn’t going to go all out. 

I show up, clarify that I’m the guy he was otherwise supposed to be getting a cab for and I plod out into the middle of the road.  Now I’m relevant for traffic either way.  I’ve been up late and my mind is on a lag.  I turn and see a bus with his signal on running fast, turning into what would be the on coming traffic lane.  I turn to regard what it is he’s turning towards.  Indeed, there is on coming traffic he would plow into.  Turning back I realize he’s banked and is now heading straight for me in the meridian.  I ponder leaping for a second, but he straightens just in time and continues on past me with a foot or so to spare.



I'm not sure why, but once you're physically out here something usually shows up pretty quick.  Sure enough, there is someone getting off at our compound within a minute or two.  I go to stand beside as she pays and collects her receipt.  We should be good.  He hasn’t waved me off yet.  But you never know.  My steed, which has arrived in just the nick of time could snarl at me, wave his hand and speed off.  Quickly I jump in and establish my credentials, thick with swallowed r’s and directional slang and a “look-I-fucking-do-this-every-day-of-my-life” vibe.  He buys it.  We’re off.

It’s hot today.  We’re not exactly 汗流浃背[1], but we’re getting there. I have a blazer on and it is way too much coverage.   I wish I was wearing a tee shirt.  This may be the first day in Beijing where I’m actually sweating this year.  We miss it all winter and then it comes too soon, and it's a nuisance.  The air is thick.  Surprise!  It looks like it might rain at some point today, which would help the air and the dirty ground, but would create a new challenge for me when I need to find the return cab ride home. 

This is an interesting area I’m driving through now.  It’s old-suburban-factory,-warehouse Beijing, out eastward from the 798 Art compound.  This is what half the city looked like fifteen years ago.  It’s what damn near the whole city looked like between the third and fourth ring road fifteen years ago. What’s the time stamp on these linoleum show rooms before they are finally flattened for luxury condos?   Pulling up now to where the meeting must be.  Bring on the rain, but wait till I have my net cab, please.  Today is Good Friday, and so I may as well paraphrase St. Augustine.  “Give me the will to resist temptation Lord.  But please, not yet.”



Meeting done.  Not a drop of rain.  The company called this fella for me and I didn't’ have to wait more then three minutes.  This must be the “Uber” effect.  No one wants to put up with merely finding a cab now.  (Unless you’re a suburban fathead like me.) Just dial for one, or a third party service.  The gent I was doing meetings with in Shenzhen, the day before last did the same thing.  Somehow I don’t think to do this out at my house, until the one out of tenth time I’m stuck with no cab to grab and no one to dial.  Now a days you can’t toot around in a Beijing cab without listening to the incessant, garbled broadcast of this young lady or that gravely man broadcasting to the entire city where it is they are and where they wan to go.  More than ever headphones are required for cross-town sanity. For now I am stuck in good old-fashioned cross-town traffic.  It’s only 2:00PM and the ride that would take ten minutes at 2:00AM grinds along for forty-five plus minutes. 

Oh, cute, in the car next to me they are cranking a bad song that I know: The “I'm a Singer” T.V. show,  “American Idol” aspirant young Taiwanese lady’s flat version of the Beyonce song “If I Were a Boy.”  This earnest lass whose face I have reluctantly seen shot from fifty or more angles, pensive, smiling, and whose name escapes me is belting it out for all the traffic jam to hear.  For my daughters, for that young lady driver in this time and place, she’s the shit. Agreed, sans italics.

Now look here.  I don’t usually talk about a performer twice if I can help it. No one deserves mention twice before someone gets an initial exposure.  That just isn’t fair.  I have spoken about Blue Mitchell before.  The Miami trumpet player has already had his day on the Brine.  But I am sitting in my downtown office, on- line at the Bookworm sipping a glass of High West Whiskey “American Rye” and it is now the fourth time that I have hit return to hear this perfectly entitled tune “Kinda Vague.”  Couldn’t have said it better myself. 

Now mind you Wynton Kelly sounds commanding and Blue himself comes in to the sparse mix like King Lear around minute six, but the one who has me now thinking seriously about and indeed acting on the initiation of the sixth listening of the tune, is the bass palyer whom I believe is Wilbur Ware.  (Sam Jones also plays bass on some cuts.)  But the choppy angular infectiousness matches with the Chicago born Wilbur’s reputation for percussive bass playing.  It’s ending now for he sixth time.  He keeps repeating the seven-note cycle, as if it answered everything over and over again on this tune that Wynton Kelly and Blue Mitchell jointly wrote in 1960.  I’ve found at least one of Wilbur’s albums there on Rdio.  I’ll be on to it next. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilbur_Ware




[1] hànliújiābèi:  to sweat profusely (idiom) / drenched in sweat

No comments:

Post a Comment