Sunday, April 6, 2014

Gangster of Love




A stair master allows one to approximate some absurd funky movement should one choose to, arms extended back and forth slowly.  Slow, purposeful steps that, at least when the pressure’s turned up, take twice as long as they might otherwise.  I’m in there early and nobody can see if I want to assume Redd Foxx with my movements.  I was smiling today as some old Johnny Guitar Watson came on, and all I needed was a big hat and some shades. 

Now I didn’t know who Johnny Guitar Watson was when I made a trip over to England as a twenty year old in 1986.  It wasn’t exactly Patrick Leigh Fermor but it was all rather adventurous to me at the time, my second time out of the country.  I was touring around the British Isles and was in London for the final week and read a “Time Out London” article telling me to stop off at the local haberdasher and make my way properly dressed to catch JGW at some venue in that wondrous city.



He strode out on stage, looking, as always, lanky, older than the funk gear suggested.  He blew kisses to the audience and ran about saying “Thank you, thank you, thank you London.  I need this.  I really need this.”  Staring at his 瘦骨嶙峋[1] it began to dawn on you that the “Gangster of Love” he had likely just been through some lean years.  I didn’t know his oeuvre then like I would, but the songs were immediately catchy and the audience loved him, in spite of his pleas to please love him.  As his moniker suggested his anchoring claim to fame was his playing.  He played an electric in a T-Bone Walker style with no pick and he worked the strings hard and you felt sorry for them. 

This morning “Dollar Bill” from the 1977 album “Funk in the Call of Duty” came on.  It’s a bit of a rehash to my ears of the ironic gangster format he nailed so well with “Ain’t That A Bitch” two albums back, the title track of which had the memorable period line that might not resonate today as it once did: "It's got me wonderin', which is which.  Might as well go off China and dig a ditch. Ain't that a bitch."  But he has a measured, everyman way of narrating a story that seems to always want to make you want to listen. And then there’s always the solo that’s worth waiting for.    Watching up there on stage that summer he looked a bit fragile.  But he would survive for another ten years.  He died on stage in Yokohama in 1996, which seems both tragic, he was only 61, and entirely appropriate, that he went out on stage, swinging, adoring ladies screaming for him one more time, with that big grin flashing. 

I don’t know if JGW ever made it the few extra hours across the Bo Hai Sea.  I rather doubt it.  Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will make the flight this week, as will I, in opposite directions.  The New York Times chose to depict the latest spat between Japan and China that Chuck is trying to navigate as a seen from the movie “Mean Girls.”  Angry nations infantilized as little girls.  “Aint’ That a Bitch?”

China will for the first time host the Western Pacific Naval Symposium, out in Qingdao which, from what I can see, traditionally has a “come all ye” welcoming neutrality that, surprise surprise, China has stepped on, by not inviting Japan.  Rising to heights of diplomatic eloquence, as senior American defense official was quoted, off record as saying: “It is so totally high school,”  “We were, like, ‘Really? You’re going to do that?'”  America then, has said that if Japan can’t go, we won’t attend either, which Japan, greatly appreciated.  Slowly and steadily, we are being drawn into this nonsensical quarrel.

It’s enough to make you want to get out of the region, which is what I felt like I did for a while yesterday.  One of the one, truly wonderful things about the particular section of the burbs I live in here in Beijing is “The Orchard” restaurant near Hegezhuang.  It is laid out like a spacious farmhouse with a large walkway around a pond, lined with apple trees in bloom.  Their Sunday brunch is famous, and the crowd, like our table, tends to be mix of ethnicities and ages.  More than any swank, modern joint in town, that place always makes you feel like you’ve left the country for a few hours. http://www.timeoutbeijing.com/venue/Food__Drink-Western/10214/The-Orchard.html



And then, as if JGW was standing over your shoulder, shaking his head, you get the bill.  “Listen.”






[1] shòugǔlínxún:  skinny; emaciated (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment