Friday, April 4, 2014

Rye's All Right




I’ve got Max de Castro’s eponymous album “Max Castro.”  I fired up Rdio on this computer for the first time and was taken to a page of “Heavy Rotation”, which I assume is a sorting of albums that friends of mine with whom I’ve connected on this site, are listening to.  "Max Castro was sitting there.  Had no idea what it was.  Turns out to be some techno samba jazz from 2005 that is filling me up this morning.  I’ve got the noise reduction headsets on and the mix is juicy, filled with all these tasteful hooks.  The tune in me ears at the moment; “Stratesfero” is a fine way to fly through the morning that has suddenly become the afternoon. Mssr. de Castro doesn’t seem to have put anything out since 2006 and he appears to be alive.  I trust all’s well with him: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_de_Castro

Still working through computer repair mode.   Down at the Apple store in San Lin Tun yesterday. That’s a scene.  Packed, always, with Beijing’s well heeled entitled class prancing about, next to aspirational window shoppers and everybody with an iPhone.  There is a fascinating ying and yang to ubiquitous staff.  All the Apple-helper people are smart, bilingual, capable and the security staff marches back and forth scowling like silent brown shirts in black.  These guards have a ritualized engagement with the people standing outside who are hawking knock off phones for less.  Clearly they have been told that as long as they stand at least three meters from the store they are permitted to accost people and not be accosted by the guards. 

After about ten minutes, I wound up with a young guy from Hebei.  We did the whole diagnostic in Chinese and started talking about Beijing.   Polite, capable, inquisitive young gentleman, he spoke to the remarkable service training this cohort must have gone through.  Everyone makes you feel like you’re important and that your problem will be resolved. There was a time, not long ago, when this simply never occurred in a Chinese sales setting.  As assumed, he told me that buying a place in Beijing on his salary, was an aspiration-too-far.  Rather, he’d get a place back home in Hebei.

The 4:45PM Genius Bar appointment migrated into prolonged diagnostic that lasted till about 8:00PM before I was done.  I had this computer with me and left the MacBook Pro to its reconfiguration fate.  The nights are descending more slowly now and it is wonderful to walk about a city’s Friday night promenade or find a perch and watch the procession as you get your emails done. 



Later, reconfigured Mac in hand, and a simple out door dinner with a friend completed, we found ourselves at Beijing’s fancy mixology emporiums, The Apothecary.  Happy, the moment I walk in, enveloped as I was by vintage West African funk, I asked to see the classy menu.  Mixed drinks are invariably nifty to sip at and regrettable to confront in the morning, on account of all the additives that are lovingly assembled and blended in.  Rather, I took it in my head to do something I never do, which was order rye.   Perhaps it was because my dear friend is Canadian and I associate the place and the drink.  We sipped at two different specialty imports, the name of which, are lost to the hum of the evening. 



Rye’s all right.  I drink scotch in the winter and G&T in the summer, if I’m going to have anything beyond wine.  I hate all but the most rarified of the bourbons I’ve had.  I find Irish whiskey mostly too sweet for my taste as well.  But the rye I had last night had altitude.  There was an odd, aromatic quality that, at least for these ones I sampled was complicated.  The term itself stimulates something Proustian as it evokes both the homophone “wry” which everyone should strive for, and the next town over to Harrison, which I grew up in, Rye, New York.

I had a look and there is, alas a schism.  In the U.S. to call it “rye” you need to have 51% of the ingredient in there or you need to call it something else.  (The ingredient itself, was a mystery to me as well.  Looking it is part of the wheat tribe, closely related to barley. ) This is not the case in Canada and hence they can vamp on the recipe and still assign the rye moniker if they like.  They only had four on the menu so I’ll have to go back and determine exactly what it was I was drinking.  Un-mixed, it was a merciful ascent to the day and then the stratosphere this morning, and the memory of the 琼浆玉液[1] remains.





[1] qióngjiāngyùyè:  bejeweled nectar (idiom); ambrosia of the immortals / superb liquor / top quality wine

No comments:

Post a Comment