Friday, April 25, 2014

Imperial Minds




Finished a wonderful read yesterday.  “The Mind of Empire” by Christopher Ford.  As I recall in my very first entry of DustyBrine, back last September, I cited an article that Christopher Ford had written.  It wasn’t the first thing of his I’d read, as I'd earlier encountered another fascinating article of his analyzing a military conference he'd attended with Chinese brass.  He is a fellow at the Hudson Institute and a former officer, diplomat who has written a truly trenchant look at how the broad sweep of Chinese history can considered to understand China’s self perception. http://www.kentuckypress.com/live/title_detail.php?titleid=2412#.U1oJ6-aSxCc

The main juxtaposition lies between China’s traditional, unquestionable centrality and the violent confrontation with the western, Westphalian rhetorical understanding of equality among nations.  China, "imperial mind" could be seen to understand dominance and subjugation well enough, but have little historical preparation for coexisting as merely one of many nations, each with an understanding of relative parity. 

China does, of course, operate every day within a system of international law and frequently sites notions of mutual non-interference that stem from this European tradition rather than their own.  However, this can also be seen to be a conditional expedient, wherein the philosophical underlays that inform a Chinese world view, are irrepressible and constantly appear.  Chinese in general, in this understanding have their own 良知良能[1] the quality of which is necessarily exalted in relation to others.



The frame can be used to explain all manner of national behavior, such as the notion of “teaching a lesson” to India or Vietnam, through more or less successful incursions in recent history, or of the importance of being seen to stand for something larger than merely the nation itself.  It speaks to grave challenges for the future, but also illustrates how many concerns about Chinese behavior, may be misplaced.  A regional power, for example is much easier to ultimately accommodate, than a global overlord.



I have tried to organize my thoughts about different trains of Chinese philosophy to craft an explanation of current policy behavior.  It is an absolutely daunting undertaking.  For a non-Sinologist to cover 2500 years of Chinese philosophy and apply it to the last 180 years of engagement with the west, and do it swiftly and convincingly and entertainingly is masterful.  The end, not unlike the article I first mentioned last fall ends with a “damned if I know”-like conclusion on what these filters mean for predicting Chinese behavior going forward.  But perhaps this is about as committal as one should be.  A highly recommended read, from my vantage. 

This morning I participated in the humbling ritual of parents’ day at my kids school.  I went up to the fourth floor and piled in to the room with the other parents.  We were asked to sit and view the classes for the morning.  It is an important event for me to attend, because it gives me so much respect for my kids, among other things.  I can understand most of the teachers’ instructions at a high level.  But process in real time the specifics of fourth grade math calculation, word problems, decimal comparisons etc., in a foreign language?  I would have been rather lost if I’d have had to actually stand and respond to a question.  

It’s often how it is with foreign languages.  We have areas that are turn-key.  The travel vocabulary, the dining vocabulary, the business meeting vocabulary, the “I’m not happy” vocabulary.  But when it concerns math problems, the words for diameter and radius and complex fraction have not really come up much.  Chinese quote larger numbers in tens of thousands rather than thousands, so a figure is “twenty-ten-thousands”, rather than “two hundred thousand” and so you need to adjust those figures in real time, if you want to answer, calculate quickly and correctly.  My nine year-old rose and answered a question about comparing decimals without blinking.  I was doubly proud; one with her being able to provide the correct answer.  But second because the question was, in the end, completely indecipherable for me.

I followed on from the Menahan Street Band of yesterday to another New York group that has captured that remarkable West African 70’s sound in a way that is genuine and contemporary.  The Budos Band appears to be from Staten Island. They were the pick of the litter of a few of these other contemporary Afro-funk-soul bands I checked after the Menahan sound.  As I was poking around it seems like there is a profusion of Afro-beat, soul revival bands all producing, playing and cross fertilizing there in my home city of New York.  Glad to know the soil is still aerated and sprouting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Budos_Band





[1] liángzhīliángnéng: instinctive understanding, esp. of ethical issues (idiom); untrained, but with an inborn sense of right and wrong / innate moral sense

No comments:

Post a Comment