Thursday, June 26, 2014

Be Smart Leaving the Shower




I’m done with some work that took quite a long time to complete.  I wasn’t particularly hard.  There just was an awful lot of it.  I’ve got the thoughtful tenor Houston Person in my ears.  He’s performing “Don’t Misunderstand” with one of my absolute favorite female jazz vocalists Etta Jones.  This may be from 1968.  It’s damn hard to find out definitively, searching here on line.   I hadn’t realized they orchestrated a rare partnering that was compared to the dialogues of Lester Young and Billy Holiday.  Professionals trading distilled connectivity but not, it would seem, 挚友良朋[1] with all the attendant drama and volatility that a relationship performing on the road might otherwise suggest.  The exchange together on this cut is ironic and achy but utterly plausible, regardless. 



The Houston Person album I have on is called “With a Little Houston on the Side” which seemed to be the earliest thing of his available on Rdio.  It is, however a collection.  The two or three appearances of Ms. Jones with him are just divine:
http://jazztimes.com/articles/19053-don-t-misunderstand-etta-jones-houston-person  He plays so thoughtfully on the laid back title track.  

It’s always affirming to write about someone from the tradition who still walks the earth.  Mr. Person would appear to be 79 years old.  Born in South Carolina and still rising and shining in some place that remains nameless he has a modest seventy-five albums recorded under his own name alone.  Though suggested that this Person was not married to Ms. Jones, they merely made beautiful music together.  I was directed in a Houston-ly direction through an association with my man Pepper Adams who played on an album of Houston's  around this time, in 1968.

Now I’ve got a tentative date to head out and see some live jazz here in Shanghai with a colleague.  He has actually written a treatise on the topic of jazz in this city.  I know the two names of where live jazz is supposed to take place.  He’s hedging with some stuff on the home front.   I may just get the address and head over myself if he’s waylaid.  Who knows?  I may come home with someone worth describing our next entry.  And regardless, we should push ourselves for these things.  I should push myself for these things.  No point in pursuing a live tradition, from the safety of a laptop.



What did people do before there were warm showers?  They must have ached for one.  And they must have felt Turkish and Roman and scented baths were pretty remarkable things.  I just let hot, hot water run on my shoulders listening to our man Mr. Person blow his tune “Late Night Lullaby.” And that water felt good.  It pounded at my shoulder blades and cascaded down over my breasts off on to the shower floor and listen: it was all right.  Guilt free, healthy, meditative physicality on demand.  And the shower’s hot enough that you can turn it just below way too hot and test yourself.  Now just watch yourself getting out of this thing.  This is how accidents happen.  I hear my maternal grandmother warning me about Neil Armstrong or some hapless astronaut who made it all the way up to the stratosphere but slipped getting out of the shower. 

The dude I was going to go out with is suddenly saddled at home.  How many times have I been on that end of that routine?  Houston Person will need to suffice.  There won’t likely be any live jazz this evening.  Improvisation and crashing cymbals from the safety of a laptop.  I’ll go out and get a bite to eat instead.  There’s no need for a live performance when you’re this tired.   I’d just sit there and bob my head to sleep.  Eat and get some rest.  Remember the hot water on your shoulders.  Tomorrow’s the last day here in town. 





[1] zhìyǒuliángpéng: intimate friend and companion (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment