Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Molluscs Large and Small




Wrapping up a long day.  Plenty more to do all night long.  But for now, I’m gonna walk home through these Puxi side streets and most likely return to the all-night Sichuan restaurant that is run by a Shanghainese lady.  Small, little informal joint, the dishes are supposed to Sichuanese I suppose, but they’re done like the old family style Shanghainese food I remember with a bit more ma & la.

Walking over (power grinding just below a trot, really) this morning I had a ton of new music to sort through that I’ve synced to my phone.  I can’t listen to music with lyrics when I’m writing, working, but when I’m just short of sprinting, aggressive music and commanding lyrics suit.  I never, ever tire of hearing Elliot Smith sing.  And I’ve long had just about every solo thing he ever did.  What is it about his voice and delivery?  Like a parting of the clouds he always stands out to my ears among all his peers with a voice that cuts straight in to my aorta, 深入人心[1]


And I’ve long known he was in a grunge band called Heatmiser before his remarkable solo career.  But I’d never paid them any mind.  “Oh yeah, that other band he was in.”  Even when I discovered a tune or two that was gorgeous, I never really dug in further.  So while I was broadly synching things the day before last, I added some Heatmiser albums to the mix.  Early days, but upon first listening to their second album, the 1994, “Cop and Speeder” has a host of remarkable songs; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cop_and_Speeder  “Collect to NYC”, “Temper”, “Bastard John.”  I had “Busted Lip” on this afternoon when I went out to get a sandwich.  And . . . I believed him.  I always believe him.  He’s never, almost never, trite, right up until his last moments when he sticks a knife into his own aorta to wrap things up.   

And the other gent on the album also sings.  It would appear that his name is Neil Gust.  I’d never heard of him.  He sings nicely.  He also has pleasant turns of phrase and seems sincerely bummed by it all.  But oddly I’m nowhere close to caring.  Sorry Neil.  I hold out for the possibility that I will eventually become intrigued.  But the moment Elliot Smith opens his mouth I care about what it is he is going to say, as if it were issuing out from the Ray Davies or John Lennon. 

A talk with my daughters on the way over to my present perch.  My younger one will dance Bharatanatyam at her school on Friday.  I will miss this.  I can imagine her stomping her feet and turning her little hands.  The fascinating spectacle of thirty Chinese grade school kids dancing earnestly to Karnatik majesty.  I’ve missed all her practices at home, these past few weeks, as well.

My older daughter is not happy.  Her Chinese middle school calendar isn’t over till mid July.  Her new Western Middle School program starts in early August.  “I don’t get a vacation!”  She’s right.  I understand.  But there isn’t really anything I can do.  “No.  You can’t just blow off your finals, even though you won’t be there next year.”  She’s close to tears.  Far away, you want more than usual to instantly make it all better.

The reception is terrible in our home.  Unless you push your face up to the screen of the rear window the connection deteriorates.  I can tell their face isn’t up against the screen.  I can’t blame them.  It’s a drag.  “I can’t hear you honey.”  “I’m sorry.  I didn’t hear what you said . . . OK.  OK?  OK.  Have a good night dear.”

Sitting here by myself eating my dinner, I’ve reestablished affinity with the older woman who works here.  She used to work at the Jing An Hotel.  She insists it was quite a place, back in the day. I assume this is her joint but I can’t be sure.  There are a number of other entitled people running around with airs of ownership.  And it hits me that an insight I had twenty years ago still holds true:  Shanghainese tend to stare. 

Back in the day, everyone in China tended to stare.  When I was here the first time I insisted my Chinese teacher teach me how to say: “Do you enjoy staring at people?”  She and many other proud Shanghainese citizens counseled me that these people who gawked at me incessantly were, certainly not Shanghainese.  Shanghainese were most assuredly not interested.  They were thoroughly, historically, fundamentally, chromosomally familiar with foreigners.  Staring fools, such as I describe, were bumpkins. 

Twenty years on, two or three million foreign visitors later, the owner and the people sitting across from me, with whom I’ve chatted in Shanghai dialect have all decided its high-tone to walk over behind my shoulder and stare at me as I type.  I’ve long since established here tonight that I can converse and understand what is said, but this needn’t inhibit the running commentary about all of my behaviors.  “He’s chewing.”  “Do you see what he’s ordered?”  “You see, foreigners prefer beer cold.  It’s bad for their stomach.”



The folks at the table across from me were speaking Mandarin.  I assumed they were from out of town.  The proprietress said, “You should get the snails.  See, the foreigner ordered them.”   I asked them if they were from up north?  The girl emphatically insisted she was from Shanghai.  I asked her in local dialect why she wasn’t using local dialect.  This was well received. 

They decided to order the large snails.  I had a ridiculously large pile of small river snails on my table. (Another entitled, patron-like guy who would have fit in as a Chinese extra in ‘Saturday Night Fever’ with a red shirt unbuttoned down to a few centimeters above his belly button sporting a big silver chain just darted over and considered what I was writing.  “English.  I can’t understand.”  Probably for the best.)  This table was very kind and not only looked my way but decided to offer me a few of their big snails.  I of course insisted that they finish my plate of small snails that was large enough for a small village of gastropod fans to sample liberally. 

The young lady was, as suggested a local gal.  The two gents with her were from Shanxi and Shandong respectively.  “Shandong?  Oh, where?  My wife is from Shandong.”  The young lady, as if on queue turned and stared at me: “Why don’t you have a wife from Shanghai?!”  There can only be one answer to this line of inquiry:  “Ahh, young lady, as you well know, Shanghainese girls are very difficult to manage.”  This too, was well received. 

This girl has now asked to use the bathroom.  She returned seconds later suggesting it was “e lie” or “vile.”  “Well, that’s all a small place can provide!” suggested the patron, emphatically.  I could have told missy that would have been a pointless expedition. 

I’m full now.  Fold this up and head home. 




[1] shēnrùrénxīn:  to enter deeply into people's hearts / to have a real impact on the people (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment