Sunday, June 29, 2014

Singin' Bout Fractals




Back up in Beijing.  It’s hot up here.  I don’t quite get how Beijing can be so much hotter than Shanghai.  It’s dry heat though and at least we’re not sweating.  One thing that is immediately notable back home is I no longer have complete license to play whatever music I want.  My daughter’s have a singing class this morning and we’re on route.  The younger one wants to listen to “Let it Go” from the movie “Frozen” a few times in preparation for the class.  Elsa is in the back. Not exactly, 引吭高歌[1], the ice-maiden explains to my daughter being the older princess is hard.  Embumbered with her gift, Elsa's soul is “spiralling in frozen fractals all around.”  I’d sent Maureen Dowd’s Op Ed comparing Elsa with Hillary Clinton.  “The cold never bothered me anyway.”  And upon asking, my older one had actually read it.  Cool.  

I have friends with daughters.  Everyone’s daughter between the age of five and fifteen seems to be into this movie that is apparently an adaptation of an old Norse story.   Everyone referenced seems to be at their wits end having to listen to the songs over and over again.  There is a central older sister / younger sister dynamic that struck bulls eye perfect for my little one.  Twenty minutes in I’ve finally succumbed and asked her to listen to Elsa on my big headphones instead.  In the front seat I’ve put Nara Leao’s moody samba on to share with the Mrs. For the first time.  This is a wee bit more gentle on the morning ears. 

Two days in a row now I’ve been on the ring roads of Beijing and been gob smacked at the ease with which we’ve navigated.  Traffic’s been ‘not-so-bad.’  We’ve turned now on to Jianguomen Wai en route from the fourth to third ring road and we’re completely unencumbered.  How can this be?   U-turning it now through the sterile glass towers of Lang Jia Yuan Road.   It’s Saturday and everyone has headed elsewhere. 

We are now at the second floor of Ju Zi Shu, which appears to be a private establishment of musical instruction, which my wife found. (A quick Romanized search came up short.)  The lobby is confrontationally modern in orange and white and black.  The lobby area I’m in outside is decidedly less well coiffed with scotch tape holding the mirror to the elevator; grout on the walls a bucket of something, up behind me and absolutely no air-conditioning.




Back home now.  En route, I picked back up with “1984” which my older one and I'd been reading together and started in reading aloud the next ten pages.  We were introduced to the comrade Ogilvy whom Winston has been tasked with creating and introducing into history.  This, as another person, previously of note, had been eliminated and Big Brother’s earlier speech had to be altered to remove any reference to this man, who now, never-has-been.  Ogilvy is a revolutionary hero that Wintson makes up in laser sharp anticipation of the creation of Lei Feng and Ou Yang Hai, and other Cultural Revolution heroes, some twenty years later.   We passed a large billboard of Lei Feng on the ride in, along JingMi Road.  I’m sure the Chinese Winston responsible would be happy to know this particular creation is still animate, demanding old and young, rich and poor alike to “devote yourself to the service of others” fifty one years after the initial manufacture.  Craftsmanship.  



Reuben Lincoln Wilson is shaping up this lazy Sunday afternoon here in hot Beijing.  The seventy-nine year old continues on the progression of soulful jazz organists we’ve been considering.  We’ve got a number called “Hot Rod” on from 1969 that invokes an environment that’s about as cool as one dare take things.  These are all assembled on a disc called “BluesBreaks” but it originally appeared on the end of that decade release “Love Bug.”

I just dropped the older one off at school, (yes, it is Sunday evening at 5:20PM.  This is a standard practice.) and rode over to get an espresso at the Starbucks.  (Also, relatively standard.) I turned Mssr. Wilson up as loud as the Honda Odyssey would allow, rolled down the windows and let him cast imprecations left and right in suburban Beijing, “cease in your uncool ways, good people.”  You can take the American out of America but . . . And it dawned on me that what I thought I’d heard before mostly all remained to be listened to. Who is that drummer that seems like some evolutionary leap from Ziggy Modeliste of the Meters?  His solo on this “Hot Rod” tune made me want to pull over.  Who’s shedding that alto like someone who caught the baton from John Coltrane? 

So I went and looked up who’s involved in this set.  OK.  I see.  The man on the horn did pick up the baton from JC in the Miles’ band.  This we can discern as it’s George Colman. Lee Morgan is on trumpet and Grant Green is that undeniable sound on electric guitar.  You don’t need anyone working the bass when you got an eee-lectric organ.  Solid on everyone concerned, but who was Leo Moris the man on drums?   Turns out he would shortly thereafter turn his name to Idris Muhammad and has quite a few dates to his name.  We will be proceeding to engage. 

Fine it is, to be home.




[1] yǐnhánggāogē:  to sing at the top of one's voice (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment