Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Leafy Greens Were Good






Tired.  Up very late now, trying to log this entry.  Grinding tired that illuminates the scratch that had almost disappeared in the back of my throat.  It calls out the many days since I’ve properly visited the gym and minor aches and pulls you feel, when you’ve crashed out prematurely on a couch.  I can still feel the claws of sleep pulling, coaxing.  疲于奔命[1] may be a bit dramatic, taken literally but it is only so far off the mark.

An evening with an old friend.  Delightful conversation, which I really had no time for.  A drink, sure, up above the city with a familiar but still mesmerising view.  The environment vacant, vapid.  Let’s go get some “family style” food.




This way, past Bubbling Well Road, and down to this small street.  Sure.  Let’s just pick one that has a lot of people.  I walked him along a stretch of restaurants near by the place I’d described last night.  Unwisely, we walked right past that place which has a horrible atmosphere but good food. 

One block down on another corner was a bigger, better-lit joint with quite a few people.  Alas, they didn’t know any better.  Dish after dish we’d ordered was flat. The best thing in my opinion was the thin leafed green vegetable affair I saw that someone else was being served on the way back from the bathroom at the outset.  “What’s that?”  I can’t remember now what I was told, but I managed to hold on to it long enough on the return from the fourth floor bathroom (?!) back to my table where my friend was ordering.  "We'll take one of those, too."

In the hustle and bustle of wrapping up where I’d been earlier, I managed to leave my headphones.  I only noticed this as we packed up from the restaurant and I began fishing around for them for the walk home.  They’ll either be back there in the morning when I go in or they won’t.  No point in kvetching about it for too long there in the middle of the street.  I miss them now though, as the music coming from the computer speaker sounds faint and thin.  They better be there in the morning.

Marcos Valle isn’t anyone I’d ever heard before and as suggested, I still haven’t really heard him.  But when I was proceeding through all the recommendations of Brazilian music that my friend had profiled, his name popped up as a suggested artist in Rdio.  There were a number of his albums profiled and I threw on one released on Verve in which he looks quite young and clean cut when he would have been 25 or so called “Samba 68.”  Looking decidedly more shaggy and sounding decidedly more varied is the release from five years later called “Previsao, Do Tempo.”  I had a look at this means “prediction of time.”“Os Ossos de Barao” from this 1973 album is on now, is irresistibly positive and upbeat.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcos_Valle



Interesting article about Xi Jinping in today’s Time’s that I'm sure he appreciated.  It suggests that his family is swiftly working to off load some of their many assets in an attempt to reduce his political vulnerability. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/18/world/asia/chinas-president-xi-jinping-investments.html?ref=asia&_r=0   It would appear that some of the highly controversial articles from two years back which Bloomberg profiled of Xi’s extended family holdings and which the New York Times ran concerning the wealth of then, prime minister Wen Jiabao have had an affect.  Articles cost both publications their rights to be available on line in China.  And though there is not “free press” per se in the Middle Kingdom, the global impact of investigative journalism, still manages to impact policy regardless. 

Some degree of pruning, at a minimum, is required of Xi and his clan so that he can legitimately pursue his program of “tigers and flies” where in he intends to go after big potatoes like Zhou Yongkang as well as every day corrupt officials.  And this, will proceed on his and their own terms, their own pacing.  Not only are articles like this not appreciated or allowed for Chinese public consumption but activists who point out such matters publicly like the lawyer Xu Zhiyong who was recently given a four year sentence for his role in calling for more public disclosure of officials assets.  The article has two sets of pictures of Mr. Xi’s sisters villa in Hong Kong.  I know the place well as my kids used to ride by it every day there in Repulse Bay.  It is apparently abandoned, in disrepair and valued at around US$30M. 

Another swig of water and a search for photos and then I think I’m going to get some more rest.  An important call in a few hours.






[1] píyúbēnmìng: lit. tired of constantly running for one's life (idiom); terribly busy / up to one's ears in work

No comments:

Post a Comment