Sunday, June 8, 2014

Is There a Fool In Here?




Back in Shanghai for a while.  Was at a dinner last night where the Shanghai Hua was shedding fast and furious.  For me the language, even more than the city is a portal back to that first time in China twenty years ago.   At that time I was such a fledgling student of Chinese language I couldn’t discern the difference and Shanghainese in 1993 was much more likely to be the default discourse.  So straining to make sense of it, straining to make sense of Mandarin from a thick Shanghainese accent is an old, familiar challenge. 

I don’t know why the twenty phrases or so that I learned have stuck so well.  Perhaps because every other month or so I get to come down here and pepper my speech with cab drivers and hotel staff.   Where is all that Italian I’d practiced one year before heading to Tuscany?  I think all that remains is “quarto stagoni  (as in a ‘four seasons’ pizza) and “Where can I find the cathedral?” “Il Duomo Per Favori.”  But “Not cool”, “I don’t know”, and “you wanna fight about it?” and a dozen other Shanghai delights are locked in for good.



When I lived her twenty years ago, I was in a “Foreign Experts Building.”  A posh residence like the one I’ve been provided for this week simply did not exist then.  The building had an Ayi who cleaned my room in the mornings and she’d come in and through the linguistic haze, there was one utterance that she kept emphatically repeating, pointing at the ground, pointing at the kitchen.  I’d smile earnestly and say “thank you” and “I see” in Mandarin, utterly lost.  Mandarin has a finite range of sounds and there is no sound “GET.”  Meanwhile there is a sound for “DA.”  Just enough ambiguity to be completely confusing.  What does this “GET DAH!” mean?  Getdah! (finger point), Getdah! (finger point).

Later some local friends laughed and told me that this was indeed Shanghaineese.  What that wiry old lady was yelling at you was “here.”  This made sense and of course the next time she was in my room we danced in merriment repeating getdah, getdah, pointing at various things, and smiling: 应有尽有[1].

Laughing about all this my friends told me, it was also the first line of a good old Shanghainese  insult.  Ahh, well, of course, I’ll need to have that as well.  “Get dah you gandu va?”  Which I dutifully added to my pack of vocabulary cards at the time, with the explanation that this was Shanghainese for “Is there a fool in here?” 

Last night, driving with two senior, accomplished financiers of Shanghainese extraction, from one hotel to a fancy Pudong locale for what was supposed to have been the final word on Jiangxi food, someone asked a question to which I replied get dah you gandu vah?  With an incredulous smile.  There was a terrifying millisecond where the gent turned to me with an eyebrow raised and then he and the woman who was our host burst out laughing, repeating the phrase.  For all the many thousands of Mandarin words I’ve learned and forgotten over the years, it must be the potential comedic hook of this banal little phrase that keeps it locked and loaded in my cerebellum.



My pop had me off with the Rough Guide to Ethiopean Music which I’d explained yesterday.  As mentioned, I usually tend to be dismissive of these series.  There has been a broad range of classic Ethiopian popular music for years now through the Ethiopiques series.  So I figured I sort of knew.  Fortunately, there is everything I don’t know, and everything that has happened since the music stopped with the revolution and then started up again, that is here for discovery.

Tiruedel Zenebe, for example is someone I’ve never heard of before.  There is a song of hers called “Gue” which appears to have been from 2011 in which she sings beautifully in that characteristic Ethiopian way, over a sinister guitar lick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXdLH4TGF3s .  Though it is difficult to discern what the song is actually about though the video suggests it's a critique of some sort of the western Industrial military complex.  That, or she's a big fan on 80s American TV.

She is certainly a beautiful young lady, dancing around like Carmen Miranda in this other Youtube video I spied which no pictures of tanks or pollution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFAHzH5v-Is  And indeed, though she doesn’t yet have a Wiki page, (don’t worry Tiruedel, I don’t either) she is referred to as an African Diva (don’t worry Tiruedel, I will never be referred to this way), on this other clip featuring a range of performers. 

I will continue to dig, into this fascinating Rough Guide sampler into all that’s happened in Ethiopia after popular music was once again permissible.  This or wonder if there is a fool in here, next time I try to converse about the genre. 




[1] yīngyǒujìnyǒu:  everything that should be here is here (idiom); all one can think of is on hand / to have all one needs

No comments:

Post a Comment