Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pull It Up




Back into the routine here in Beijing.  Up early, before anyone to secure some quiet time.  Off then, to the gym.  It was hot in there.  I tried to operate the air con but it seemed futile.  So I flipped open all the windows.  I haven’t had my iPod for three weeks and it was great to have all my old friends, like The Who and Hendrix and the MC5 get things in full gear there on the lonely morning stair master.  For three weeks or so I’ve told myself I was “too busy” to hit the exercise routine and doing sit-ups this morning, on an incline, with a weight behind my head, I felt every one of those twenty one days. 

Walking home, I picked a Plane tree en route and grabbed two branches and did a pull up or two.  This gym of ours doesn’t have anywhere to do pull-ups or chin-ups.  They’re always a pretty elemental gravitational challenge.  You imagine yourself with only your hands to hold you on a cliff.  Would you have what it takes to save yourself?  Perhaps a snapping dinosaur down below would provide the necessary impetus to pull your fat ass up and over.  I think I’m going to make this Plane tree part of my routine, determined, once again, to 发奋图强[1].  Down below at the edge of the sidewalk, a few hundred ants were slowly removing everything except the cartilage from a small frog that had been stepped on.



I had been hopeful about the three albums I found of the drummer Idris Muhammad.  Two of them were early enough where they should be safely anchored in the tradition.  But the latter two were so soft and post-everything fuzak R&B that just didn’t merit a second listening.  His drumming on the Reuben Willams album I mentioned yesterday is just extraordinary.  It all seemed plowed under and subdued by rows and rows of cocaine on these discs from five years later.   A practicing Muslim I can’t say whether he used or not, but whoever produced the mix certainly sounded blissed-out and content.

A recommended artist positioned besides Mr. Muhammad, from that fascinating, risky period of musical transition in jazz history, the early seventies, was the one Gary Bartz from Baltimore Maryland.  I’ve his live 1973 album “Rivers I Have Known” taken from the Langston Hughes poem, on now.  And where as I looked in vain for this hard driving post-pop sound, that I know is out there from Idris Muhamad, this Gary Bartz album, nails it.  The first song “Sifa Zote” is hard driving but anchored, nonetheless in its time.  Hence it’s funky.  And pleasantly, like a lot of these guys who blew up in the 70s, he is still alive and kicking at 73.  Anyone who has “known dusty rivers” is welcome here.  : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Bartz




North Korea is launching more missiles, two ballistic missiles, to be precise.  The article points out that Xi Jinping intends to visit Seoul, before any meetings with North Korea and that this will be a first.  North Korea, ever more painfully aware of its growing dependence on China is apparently making renewed outreach to Russia, who are also in need of buttressing international alliances.  Kim Jong En, they speculate, must consolidate his power, before worrying about state visits.  From China’s perspective they must be actively considering how they might peel South Korea away from alliance with the US.  A China that more proactively pressures the North may be able to affect some heretofore-immutable change.  China may also be told to shove-off only to see the young Kim sign a pipeline deal with Russia for fuel instead.  The path that South Korea takes though, may ultimately be much more consequential.   What would it take for South Korea to one day decisively cast its future as under China’s protectorateship?






[1] Fāfèntúqiáng:  to make an effort to become strong (idiom); determined to do better / to pull one's socks up

No comments:

Post a Comment