Sunday, September 3, 2017

Can I Suggest That




Monday always has a lot of calls.  There’s a weekly call in the morning.  There’s a regular call at five in the evening.  “Why don’t we talk on Monday?” “I’ll set something up for Monday.”  “Hey, let’s have a debrief after that call.”  Monday’s half over before you sit down to do the actual work you were going to be banging out.

It was the coffee dregs this morning and no milk to cut it with.  I keep going out for my standard snack of sunflower seeds, raisins and cheddar cheese.  There’s nothing but raisins.  The Mrs. took the car.  “I’ll be home by one.”  By two, she still isn’t back and I decide to bike over to the market to get some groceries.  I preordered an iced triple espresso from the Costa Coffee lady and told her I’d settle after my shopping.  Inside I stopped and realized I had no idea what I was going to make for dinner. I made vermicelli the other night.  Cannelloni. Hmm?  Haven’t done that in while.  It depends if they have any descent mozzarella.  I know they won’t have any ricotta.



My wife was cute.  “This is good.  Thanks.  I’ll have to look up how you really make it.”  She knows I just improvised.  I made one pan that had nothing but eggplant stuffing for the older one, the vegan.  Everyone was oohing and ahh-ing over the stringy mozzarella that pulled as you served yourself and soon the vegan had suspended caution and was eating from the cheesy pan.  I thought the broccoli in tapenade was tasty.  No one else seemed convinced.  You can’t sneak olives on kids, no matter how you try. 



My younger one stormed into my room after dinner.  She wanted to practice lines.  There would be tryouts for the school play tomorrow.  I stopped whatever “critical” thing I was working on and told her to roll with it.  She ran through it (that is the correct verb to describe the progression), as fast as she could.  “I’m not sure, I thought maybe I could do it with a southern accent.”  “Can I suggest that you try it again only enunciate every word.  Much slower.”  “Why don’t you want to hear the southern accent?”  "No, that would be great.  Happy to hear the southern accent.”  I listened as she went very quickly through the same lines as a southern belle.  “That’s great honey.  I like it.  Can you try though, to pronounce every word, so it has a greater punch?  Just an idea”  “I know you said that before.”  She left disappointed.  I called her back and listened again, and this time smiled and said it was great and didn't comment on enunciation.



Monday 8/28/17


No comments:

Post a Comment