Saturday, September 23, 2017

The ‘Feng’ and ‘Shui’ of Things





Love my gal.  But I wish she’d leave my desk alone.  When I come back from a biz trip my desk is regularly repositioned approximately one and a half feet back towards the center of the room.  That is not, where I want my desk to be.  I know precisely where I want my desk to be.  I want to be closer to the window.  I want it to be a bit further away from the book shelf.   I use the space that’s in between to meditate and do calisthenics.  



Why does my wife move my desk?  On the one hand, it is an aesthetic debate.  She thinks the proper place to center the desk is one-and-a-half feet back.  But more importantly she believes the desk facing this way, arranged in this manner is bad feng shui.  Any sensible person can see this.  Why is that I don’t cognate the obvious?

Instinctively I’m against any such suggestion.  Before I can think, I bridle at the superstition.  My wife is also operating on instinct.  She is only trying to help to do what’s proper.  With my back to the door I don’t know can’ t see what is coming and I am putting myself in harm’s way.  “Again?” I ask, pushing the desk back.  “We never do furniture geomancy for other rooms in the house.  Why this one?  Why my room? And since when did you get defensible positions about the ‘feng’ and ‘shui’ of things?



We don’t have that conversation any more.  I come back and usually just move my desk in the other direction.  I grumble to myself and say: “people moving other people’s things . . .”   Then I sit down and get back to work.  She walks by.  She doesn’t comment.  We both know better than to mention it at this point having argued about it pointlessly more than a dozen times now.  But it isn’t over.   Neither of us seem to have won the right to rest assured that the desk will stay in the place they last put it. 



Tuesday, 09/05/17

No comments:

Post a Comment