Monday, September 16, 2019

Lined Up In a Field





This morning’s bike ride took me south along the Wang Jing West Road where I’d gone north the day before.  Mundane in comparison to my pedaling about Dong Cheng yesterday but it’s always a pleasure to get lost.  Passed the fourth ring road and then up against the third, it wasn’t long till I’d come up to the enormous Volkswagen facility that I’d visited with a client not long ago, last April.  The yard out back had thousands of ride-share bikes lined up in the field. 



Back home had a nice chat with the Mrs.  She doesn’t approve of all this bike riding I’ve discussed. She thinks it’s dangerous, which is different than her critique from twenty years ago when she used to think it was déclassé for a fellow of hers to be powering around on a rickety old Flying Pigeon.  “Honey,” I explain.  “I’ll be careful.  I need the exercise.  I wasn’t blessed with a body like yours.  It doesn’t stay fit unless I use it, you see.”

We haven’t exactly gotten the kitchen stuffed with things I’d normally turn to for lunch.  And the restaurant row across the street is cheap and accessible.  Around 2:00PM stroll over.  He recommends and I’m fine with having a look at the Cantonese place, there on the third floor of the mall.  Yuecai dishes get us talking about the Hong Kong protests and the days we lived there in Pok Fu Lam. 



The long weekend is over now.  I’ve it’s late, but that’s alright.  I’d napped much longer than I’d meant to after lunch.  Spotify can’t figure out that I’m on line.  This seems to happen with them all the time.  I need to reboot and I can’t be bothered.  I found a six-CD set of Miles “On the Corner" on Youtube, which I’ve been playing for hours now.  Morning time and they’ll be meetings and calls, but for now I’m digging my view out to the Beijing evening where, finally there is no traffic at all on the Jing Cheng Highway. 



Sunday, 09/15/19

No comments:

Post a Comment