Sunday, September 29, 2019

Would Anyone Dare?





I’d thought to have a look around yesterday in Hong Kong.  It all seemed quite normal.  Though when I got to the airport, the same airport that had been ‘occupied’ last month, there was much tighter security than I’d ever remembered.  One wasn’t allowed to enter the station without a ticket and an ID card.   There is a new extra passport check on the way into security.  But mostly it just felt quiet.



I was traveling Air China but made my base the Singapore Airport lounge.  The food, the drink was ok, free.  Enjoying the last hours of uninterrupted internet I toggled back and forth between the impeachment story unfolding back home and the protest that was forecasted and was indeed transpiring, in the places I had just been, here in HK.  The hook positioned way up passed the barb on both stories I couldn’t get enough of either. 



It’s quiet, hazy back in Beijing.  They’ll have to do a lot of cloud seeding if they intend to have crystal clear skies as is required for the National Day, first-thing Tuesday.  Nice gent from Hebei speeded me over here last night after I arrived. I thought to talk about Hong Kong with him, but it was too late.  I just consumed more news on my phone and considered this protest that I had missed by a few hours back in the SAR.

Biked around Wang Jing this morning listening to Coleman Hawkins, dodging motor bikes, cars and car doors.  There were many water trucks out wetting down the street.  That must be as an antidote to dust and soot but I don't think I've ever seen so many darting around in one day.  As I type I can see them down below my window on the Jing Cheng Express way, as well.  They’ve shut every factory for miles, asking people to make a sacrificial contribution, rather than issuing an order.  It would be interesting to see what a map of compliers and non-compliers would be.  Would anyone dare?  I spoke with my step son and his wife today about all this news I’ve been glued to.  They hadn’t been locked in, the way I was.  Not really wanting to start any work today.  But I guess I’ll commence with it now.  But you know, first I'll check the news again. 



Sunday, 09/29/19



No comments:

Post a Comment