Sunday, May 5, 2019

And Then There's Nothing Left





My wife and my daughter visited Sam’s Club.  Walmart has arrived in our Bejing neighborhood.  They seemed excited.  They seemed convinced it would be a great new contribution to the neighborhood.  They both felt that the local market, Jenny’s, would now be faced with insufferable competition.  This would mean lower prices and better choices.  I didn’t think so.  Walmart’s tend to kill local business, and then there’s nothing left but them to buy from when they're finished.   They came home with a bunch of stuff, but none of it particularly memorable.



Last night I made the steak they’d bought or at least half of the big bag they’d secured.  I grilled it and it was reasonable if a bit chewy.  There should have been much of that grilled beef lying around this morning.  Indeed, when my daughter came downstairs and insisted on breakfast and I gave her a bunch of choices she chose, ‘steak-and-eggs.’  Right, well that will be easy . . . but it appears the Mrs. has chucked what had been grilled last night but not eaten. 



In that case, I would have to grill up the remainder of what had not been cooked for that dinner.  There is a not insubstantial bag full of beef and soon I have it grilling at high temperature.  This would seem to be the better way to cook this beef.  It takes a bit of time but soon we have a not insignificant mound of freshly grilled beef to got with the simple scramble I prepared. 

I haven’t eaten much of any breakfast for the last nine-months.  It works pretty easily most days.  I’m allowed coffee and by noon, I’m allowed food.  And today, I’m not interested in playing.  If this much steak is ready by eleven I’ll be eating at eleven.  It’s better the second day.  But not dramatically so.  I chalk-it-up to goods procured from Walmart.  What else did you expect?



Sunday, 4/28/19


No comments:

Post a Comment