Sunday, May 5, 2019

What Are These Books?






I have been waiting for my books for a very, very long time.  I ordered books when I was heading to San Francisco, back in February.  I knew I’d be heading to Brazil and got four books to read in preparation for that trip.  It’s easy enough to have Amazon delivery books to a friendly address back home when I’m State-side.  I had them sent to a friend in Oakland.  I knew I’d see him sooner or later and sure enough, we had plans to meet on the second to last night I was there.  And, as I was preparing to go and meet him he called and told me had was terribly ill and would not be able to host me this evening.  Of course, you rest well.  But inside, I was suddenly deflated as I wouldn’t get my books. 

What are these books?  Well, there was a Brazil Lonely Planet.  I’d found a Cambridge Concise History of Brazil, that looked like some basic vitamin to consume.  More than one person had referred to Machado De Assis as the Shakespeare of Brazil and here I found a volume called “The Collected Stories.”  There was another volume called “The Brazil Reader: History, Culture, Politics” and this seemed like a reasonable complement.  I was rather anxious to be able to have these if not completely consume these before my trip. 



Well, my chum who’d been sick graciously sent them on to another friend in L.A. who I was planning to meet in Sao Paulo.  They arrived the day after he left.  No worries.  That person would bring them to China.  And he did.  And when I met he and his wife for lunch the other day he begged my forgiveness as his wife had not brought them with her to Beijing.  No worries.  I was to be in Shanghai next week.  Let’s exchange them at that point. 





Here in Shanghai, he did not bring them to our first meeting.  They are at the office.  We’ll meet there tomorrow.  Not a problem.  Today, we were to meet at the office and while I was interested to have this meeting.  I was very anxious to finally secure my books.  “Hey, you know what, he gave me the wrong keys.  We can’t get into the office.”  Well.  Not a problem, but before I leave this city tonight on the 9:50PM flight, I am getting into this office and getting these damn books. 



Friday, 5/03/19

No comments:

Post a Comment