Friday, May 10, 2019

Three Frying Pans Frying




Needed something to listen to on the ride over to the gym this morning.  Checking what among all the things I lined up to have downloaded on Spotify was available, and would sound fresh.  I wind up on Donald Byrd and some of his albums like 'Ethiopian Knights', I know so well, I avoid.  “Kofi” recorded in the juicy period of 1969 and 1970, I don’t know at all.   The title track is gorgeous and it’s only later that I realize that its Duke Pearson on the keys and old Ron Carter on the bass.  It’s so funky I leave it on when I get to the gym.



I plucked a Chinese article for my translation this morning that explained the Chinese side of the current trade dispute.  Refreshing, odd, to read them state the obvious: Trump is chaotic and difficult to count on.  One gets the sense that China, that’s well versed in staging political and economic negotiations by disruptive brinksmanship is surprised to be dealing with similar tactics themselves.

My older daughter said: “No Italian.”  She said the same thing a few days ago.  I guess I’ve over-done it with my meatballs and linguini.  I made rice and stir-fry last night, so “Chinese” is out.  Quickly, instinctively I suggest hamburgers, veggie burgers of course for the older one and she nods without a pause.   I’ve got a call at 7:00PM and by 6:15PM I’ve got the two bowls, one with shredded beef the other with lentils and tofu.  By 6:40 I’ve got three frying pans frying.  The sweet potatoes are in the oven, along with the cauliflower dish.  I probably shouldn’t have steamed the damn cauliflower as long as I did, but it’ll do.  And with about five minutes to go I serve them all there on the table and reluctantly head off to take this call. 



The other party, at least one of them has the video on, which is going to make it difficult to eat a burger while other people talk.  And indeed the “other people” who were to have joined me are not here. So we talk ed-tech for a while and then, around 7:40PM, when everyone else is long since finished I sit down to have one of these cheeseburgers.  I had a second one as well.



Wednesday 05/08/19

No comments:

Post a Comment