Sunday, May 5, 2019

Many, Many, Many Minutes of Pressing




I’ve gotten batteries for my iPhone replaced two times since the time I purchased this iPhone 6 a few years back.  The screen’s replaced at least twice the charging jack and the ear phone jack holes were cleaned out, with balls of dust removed.  And each time, before I went in, I was certain that this was the end of the phone. This was the time it would finally have to end. Charging had depleted with intolerable rapidity.  The audio became impossible.  The luck required to get the charging cable just-so was insufferable.  And each time I was able to have someone fix it and return it to something like my good-old phone.



This time a new problem developed.   The touch screen had become unresponsive.  The only way to get it to engage was to press and press and press and eventually it would respond, however it would then keep responding to all those old pressure points moments later, and notes would be shot off in wechat or whatsapp that said:  “ae;lkj5reiopq”  and people assumed I was drunk or falling asleep.  

When I came back from my two weeks in Brazil, last month, I was determined to have this fixed.  Kevin, the phone fixer man said I would need to leave my phone with him for a day.  When I got it back, he fixed it and it was better for about two days and then, it was back to the old problem.  I tried one more time for fifty bucks more last week and I really thought I had cheated death.  It was great for about seventy-two hours.  But then, it was worse, requiring many, many, many minutes of pressing to activate.  And with this, and all the compound aggravation, I gave up and decided to get myself a new iPhone, finally. 



Heading down to SLT I knew I’d only have about ninety-minutes.  But that should be enough. Right?I wanted to make sure my old iTunes made it over to this new phone.  The rest should have been simple.  I got myself the iPhone XS.  The smaller one.  And set out to do so.  But soon I was on a call that had been ninety-minutes out, trying to be cute and quick while waiting for a file to transfer from my hard drive to my laptop.  The young kid in the Apple store kept going back and forth between me and another person who he was helping.  There would clearly be no haircut and no time to solve this problem I was only mid-way through solving.  Time to go to my 2:00PM meeting.



Wednesday, 4/17/19

No comments:

Post a Comment