Friday, May 17, 2019

That’s Fine With Me





I tried to warn folks:  I’ll have a call this afternoon at 5:30PM.  It will last for ninety minutes.  Don’t count on me to make dinner.  When I’m here, I’m generally happy to make dinner.  Though I often find my creativity waning. 



The little one had something late at school.  The Mrs. suggested she had dinner under control.  No worries.  She was near the market and would take care of everything after a meeting that should be done around 4:00PM.  The older one has exams all week and has been, rather stressed.  She came storming home, shortly after my call started demanding to know what was for dinner. I felt like the wife in a Johnny Lee Hooker song: “When I come home my supper ain’t never done!”   I muted the mic on my conference app after begging my meeting’s pardon and told her that her mom was on tonight.

My daughter returned not long after to confirm that her mom wasn’t answering the phone, she was starving, and she was just going to order a burrito.  That’s fine with me.  Go for it.  Then she remembered that one needs to actually pay for the food one orders and confirmed she had no such lucre. 



I dialed in to the same bridge with my phone, fortunately I wasn’t so far being required to say much and popped my headphones in and biked over to the nearest ATM.  Before I left, I told her to place her order.  I’d be back soon.  I know, I know.  It would be easier if my wechat pay worked.   Later back on the call at my desk, I summoned what patience I had left not to be snarky and inform the Mrs. that she needn’t bother with dinner.



Monday, 5/13/12


No comments:

Post a Comment