Friday, September 2, 2022

A Black Locust Sapling

 



Sailing over the Gunks to High Falls with a load of people, heading to breakfast, I thought or a moment about stopping at the Mohonk Guest house instead.  And then I thought again.  They’ll want  a hundred dollars a person and this car has a lot of persons.  But I do note that it has been a while since I went up there for a visit. 

 

High Falls is a fine town, and they don’t charge you to walk around.   The lot at the the Egg’s Nest is completely full and though it often seem to not be open, it is hoppin’ today.  I park.  But realize it’s a fool’s effort.  They all get out and cross the street and I park at the establishment across the street.  There, just in front of the car is a black locust sapling.  It would be a fine tree to transplant and no one would probably care but upon closer inspection it’s sprouting up from a large root, connected to a mother tree across the fence.



Every inch of wall space a canvass, ‘psychedelic nachos’, whoever’s behind this is having fun.  Later I meet the man in question, when I scooted over to pay.  I complement him on the joint and ask if wouldn’t consider opening Friday mornings as I’ve come three times to find them closed.  He suggests that would be difficult with his young daughter and all.  We chat and agree that while New Paltz has a lot of functional places there’s a dearth of fine food. 



Later my cousin, her husband, the two kids and I head on over to Poughkeepsie to take them to the train.  My nephew wanted to play ‘Ode to Joy’ and which I haven’t made time for in many a year.  But there we were.  Later it was my turn, and I threw on “Gentleman” which I wanted him to hear after he’d played me a few African rappers.  We’d had a beautiful visit.  We hugged.  And then they want down the stairs to Platform One, where the Metro North train was waiting.  I reminded them to be sure and get a seat on the right side of the car . . .

 

 

 

Sunday, 08/08/21                         

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment