Thursday, September 1, 2022

Other Friend of Ours

 



Went out and mowed the back yard today.  I had an hour, and it was hot.  Yesterday, I’d done the lower lawn and today finished the part right behind the house.  Why do I think of particular people, when I mow the lawn?  An old friend from college will be visiting this weekend.  I didn’t think of him at all, mowing the lawn.  But I thought of our mutual friend, who I haven’t thought of in years.  Round and round, cutting out trapezoid shapes and mowing them down, I mused on this other friend of ours, and his name and the profession he chose and the things he’d said about the place he grew up.  Not sure why but we just spent an awful lot of time together.



I was four minutes late to a call when I finally ran out of battery power.  I guess I had gotten lost, during the mowing.  This battery seems to run out after forty-five minutes.  Not sure why, but this run at the mowing lasted more than an hour.  The call involved Nairobi and Toronto as well as Accra. No one seemed to notice I was late, even though it was I who was host.

 

By six I had finally showered and listened to Art Blakey ferocious drum rolls.  Now I had to head to pick up my older one about a twenty minute drive from here.  Her sister joined me for the ride.  I acquiesced to Japanese power-pop, anime theme songs all the way up.  I tried to remember the name of a Korean band who’s members had recently contracted COVID.  I could only remember they started with a “T” and nothing more.  She thought I was kidding and looked up to find that the group’s name was 'Treasure.'



We were back home alone for a few hours and I was so inclined to take a quick nap and send myself off to nod with some reading.  But I wouldn’t be able to till later today.  For now, I’ll do some planting instead.   Once again up late before a very early call the next morning.  But was glad to have been able to read the next few pages of “The Ornamental World” and now a recommended biography on El Cid himself has just arrived. 

 

 

 

Wednesday, 07/28/21


No comments:

Post a Comment