Thursday, September 1, 2022

Jingles, Snappy Comebacks, People

 



Home alone with the older one.  My wife offered to take my younger one and her friend into Queens for a meal.  I was certainly glad not to be going.  A Haidilao dinner sounds fine, but I don’t want to drive two hours for it.  Before they left, they were fretting over whether or not her friend could eat sesame because she was allergic to nuts.  Don’t get any gongbao jiding I suggested.  The girl had hosted my daughter a few times and it was this then, rather than just let her head over for another sleep over. 


 

I got my bike ride in first thing in the afternoon.  I wanted to push myself as I’d felt like I’d missed the last few times.  When I got home, I was determined to finish the mowing I’d started the day before.  This took me deep into the overgrown boundaries of our property.  There in the top right there where we “discovered” a catalpa tree.  Chewing stones and knocking roots it was difficult to see just where I was, and I did my best to toss the big rocks and branches judiciously into the over-cover. 



When you mow the lawn things get stuck in your head.  Jingles, snappy comebacks, people you loathe.  I massaged one slight by CFO of a client, who wasn’t keen on paying us.  “Do you think this is Oxfam, where people’s work for free.”  That seemed very funny.  And it lead to a thought about the song, was it Rudimentary Peni, who called out: “The Oxfam add makes you feel bad, so you put a few coppers into the slot, pretending that is, all that you’ve got!” (It turns out that it was A Flux of Pink Indians and their song “Charity Hilarity” which I wouldn’t have guessed.  But I played that part of that song over and over as well. 

 

For dinner it’s just me and the older one, who is a vegetarian.  There was a pot of half-eaten rice on the stove top.  Stir fried rice with big cuts of leeks came to mind.  There’s all that tofu and tofu type products in the top of the fridge we never use.  Broccoli with garlic and with three dishes or so I have the menu in my mind.  The tofu was a bit more spicy than I was expecting, the rice could have stood with a bit less oil.  But all in all, it was a descent Chinese facsimile. 

 

I know better than to try to write too hard at the end of the evening. If I’m a bit tired, I’ll fall over tired and soon pass out at that hour.  Good night.




Monday, 08/02/21

 

No comments:

Post a Comment