Thursday, September 1, 2022

Did the Engine Turn

 




My body rose early.  It had retired rather late.  I don’t have much control over it.  I got up reluctantly and double checked my calendar.  Remarkably there was nothing claiming my time until late in the afternoon.  I trundled out to the office, which also has a bed that I’d been laying in.  And, pleasantly in the early morning light, without my contacts in my near sited eyes read for a while, from a biography I’d made only faltering progress with the night before. Charles V, is someone I’ve known of but hadn’t considered in the progression of Isabella and Ferdinand, on to Philip II.  I knew he had dominion over Spain and the Netherlands.  I guess I hadn’t realized he had damn near all of Europe save England and France. 

 

Appropriately I’ve Louis de Milan on the air.  Solo acoustic guitar, his life covered the same period as Chuck Five.  A writer and a musician he sounds uncharacteristically tranquil given the uproarious period during which this was written. 



I mowed my mom’s lawn today.  They will be back from a vacation tomorrow.  I guess I’ve been spoiled with this electric mower of ours.  If it gets choked it conks out, you press a button, and it turns on.  I spent at least ten minutes fretting that this gas-powered motor of my stepdad’s was malfunctioning because I couldn’t get it to start.  Pumped the prime, checked the blades and only when I held the clutch did the engine turn.  But out in the thick of the lawn their gas-powered motor had to be nudged forward at a snail’s pace or the amount of grass would choke it.

 

Tired now.  I can feel my lids being pulled.  I need to time, good time to review things with the Spain trip, but I’m not getting enough of a clear runway.  Tomorrow, I hope.  It was only few hours ago that I was notified we’d be hosting four guests tomorrow night.  Lovely cousins and family but we haven’t had four people here before.  And we spent our dinner time discussing just how we could arrange to make them all comfortable.



Alright.  Go to bed.  Dream space and consciousness are becoming distractingly intertwined. I’m gonna inhabit dream time for a while.   

 

 

 

Thursday, 08/05/21                                     

                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment