Friday, September 2, 2022

Wanted Shorts and Hats

 



My old friend left this morning.  I think we all exhaled.  This was the third sleep over guest we’ve had in two week’s time and after such a long period of isolation it’s quite a change, welcoming someone into the space here.   We waved him off and then called him and told him to return.  He’d left his laptop. 



I got an angry pile of must-do work done during the morning.  I was incapable of creating any more distractions and finally went in with a stool and whip and forced my way through.  It was late, maybe 4:30PM or so when we finally headed off to the Galleria mall on the Poughkeepsie side.  My daughters wanted shorts and hats and I needed a summer shirt and some sneakers.  And importantly we were going to have the new lenses for my daughter placed in her frames.  But the guy who does this wasn’t in till tomorrow at 11:00AM and for that we’d need to return. 

 

I got much more than I needed at Banana Republic.  They had shorts in my size.  They had tee shirts that would feel familiar and shirts that would make me feel cool.  I got an espresso from a guy who’s accent I couldn’t place and then tried to find some sneakers.  Pumas.  I hadn’t considered Puma’s in a while.  The suede blue Pumas looked cool but they didn’t have any ten and a half or elevens.  The overweight attendant told me my chances weren’t great, in general. Then he found me a not too bad looking pair of black Nike Air’s that I bought and walked out of the store. 



Down at the rendezvous point where I was to meet my daughters I took the insoles out of my other shoes put them into this pair.  Kid walking by told me: "lace em' up!"  They may be air but one of my legs is shorter than the other I’ve a pain in my left foot that was asserting itself in these new shoes.  My daughters needed more time.  I went to Macy’s and got another yellow shirt I didn’t need and eves dropped in on a conversation between a brusque African American fellow and his daughter. It was his opinion that she wasn’t nice to shop with. 

 

 

 

Saturday, 08/14/21                         

 

No comments:

Post a Comment