Friday, October 5, 2018

A Rough Cut Somewhere





Made it to the gym.  The person I’d been meeting down in first floor café at 9:00AM would also be going to the gym.  I had a call though, at exactly the wrong time.  So I’d need to rush now.  I’ve been biking to the gym at home these last two months.  That has been wonderful, but because of that I don’t end up doing the stair master and I don’t do my Chinese flash cards as often as I once did.   And now, I’m up on the Taipei Sheraton 17th floor at the gym, stepping along, considering characters, staring across at the mountains through the rain.

My friend and I talked music last night.  I had hip hop I wanted him to hear.  He had hip hop for me.  Had I heard of . . . you know the guy from the Bay Area?  I reeled off one and then another before exhausting the half a dozen names I could think of.  “No.  Wait.  He’s on my play list in Spotify.”  Lil Yaghty.  



He had a good story of riding the BART and pressing a rather intimidating gent for the name of the funky track he was playing.  This was “Broccoli” by Lil Yaghty.  So, today at the gym I thought I’d search out the dude and take a track for a test drive.  The first few songs were soft.  I gotta say, I don’t like comfy, limp hip hop.  The next track on this album was similarly flaccid.  So I searched out Broccoli itself, hoping the herbal metaphor would produce something inspired.  Meh.  Not.   Perhaps there's a rough-cut somewhere.  (Come to find he's from Georgia, and not the Bay, anyway.)




I queued up the ladies I’d wanted to play  for him that we’d also discussed last night.  Dominque Young Unique’s “War Talk” isn’t new anymore but he hadn’t heard it and I knew he’d be taken by her once he joined her from along the walk from the basketball court in her neighborhood that she proceeds on through in the “War Talk” video.   We don't need to dwell on the fact that I ain't much of nothing that wasn't overproduce from her since then.  Jungle Pussy meanwhile is of-the-moment and I know what I want to play him when I see him for coffee downstairs.   Nothing soft here.  Like many people who've long been ready to give up on the genre it's always thrilling when some young person once again finds their finger's way up into the main vein.    



Wednesday 9/26/18


No comments:

Post a Comment