Thursday, October 4, 2018

Suddenly Everything Moves




I don’t know just how I decided on this.  But I wanted to try on one day, (yes the second day) of this intermittent fasting bit, and go the full twenty-four hours.  I’ve decided the day to do that is Tuesday.  Monday’s too much with the onslaught of work.  Later in the week I’ve disproportionately scheduled meetings, that are likely to involve food.

And this is harder.  Noon has come and gone.  I can feel I’m ornery.  I sense that I was short tempered during that last call.  Why is this person going on and on?  I get it, it get it.  I’ve already had two bottles of San Pellegrino water.   I’ve already had three cups of black coffee. It’s a manageable desire to eat, but the demand is certainly growing louder.



After a nap around 3:00PM, I’m back up and its nearly 5:00PM.  Now I know I’ll be fine.  Ninety more minutes?  Pah.  Workable.  And appropriately my wife and I had plans for some time to head out to dinner this evening with an old colleague who is in town visiting with his family.  I shower.  Call the Di Di.  Soon we’re off and I make one and then another call, during the ride.

At the approach to the Bei Gao entrance of the Airport Express Way, we grind to a halt.  The only movement is from cars up ahead that are turning around to flee the Express Way-bound congestion.  I’m on a call but I text to our friends again to say we’ll be late.  Nothing is moving.  And then suddenly everything moves with the utmost rapidity.   And on the highway there is almost no traffic to slow anyone.  And it becomes clear that we’d been held up by visiting government dignitaries whom the who city just accommodated so they could sail by unencumbered.



Walking not long afterwards, into the hotel lobby, heading to the elevator, I am trying to keep cool about it.  I don’t want to sit down and act like a wolf.  No one need know that I’ve put off eating for the last twenty-four hours.  And it is going to be really, really, nice to enjoy the first bite of damn near anything that is put on this table.



Tuesday, 8/28/18


No comments:

Post a Comment