Tuesday, October 2, 2018

The Water You Just Removed?





                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Beijing is a bone-dry climate where things get dusty and brittle and sand storms ruin the spring with sand that blows in off the Gobi Desert.  The winter is cold but it rarely snows.  So, it is always strange to confront the city when its wet.  This morning I was up early and I could hear the steady fall of rain outside.  The summer is when we get our rain.  And you can’t begrudge it because Beijing always needs precipitation. 

The first year we rented this home it rained ferociously while we were away for the summer and when we returned, the little basement room, which we used for some storage, was flooded.  Electrical equipment, books, musical instruments were all ruined.  And now we don’t keep anything of any great value down there.  What’s there is mostly on palettes. 



A few hours later, my wife called out that the basement was once again flooded.  Sure enough, there was about a foot of water down there.  And though I wasn’t worried about any of the goods that were still there as they were either not especially important or up away from the water, we were all concerned though with how to get the water out.   



My wife, the ayi and I all took positions as scoopers and shunters and dumpers getting the water out of the basement, bucket by bucket.  At first it’s is hard to tell if this effort really makes any difference.  You scoop and remove but aren’t the walls and the ground just saturated, bleeding back in the water you just removed? Eventually though it becomes clear that we are making progress.   The water table is lowering, gradually.   Soon the water level is so low that the bucket method isn’t practical.  The little broom and dustbin, some towels to soak and squeeze out.  All the while I was concerned about slipping and hurting myself.  I sensed that if I turned too quickly with a bucket full of rain water, my feet would slip and I’d pull something.  But we all finished it off without any bodily harm and the cellar now is pretty dry. 



Wednesday 8/08/18



No comments:

Post a Comment