Friday, October 5, 2018

To Respond With Brio




Everyone has them.  The things they can do which other people find difficult.  And everyone has plenty of things they cannot do, which others find easy.  Such is existence.  I, for one, am hopeless at staying up late.  Whether I’ve had wine or coffee or naps, whether I’m with friends or by myself reading a book, my body will have its due.  Time’s up.  Resistance is futile.  

Conversely, I rise early.  I start rolling about at 4:00AM and I’m at work not long after. I like it this way. Once I’m up, I’m up.  I don’t want role around in bed fretting about things.  I’m conscious.  (I’m also older).  I may as well get to it.  Alarms?  Who needs em?  I’m my own best alarm.  At that hour no one is stirring and I am certainly at my most productive.



So, when someone based in San Francisco asked to have a call at their 1:00PM Friday, I paused.  That’s my 4:00AM, Saturday morning.  “Why don’t we set something a bit more reasonable like your 5:00PM?:” I considered writing.   Something school boy like I think, preferred to respond with brio.  “Sure. That will be fine. I’ll send you and invite.”  That’ll show him.  Not even the hint of a flinch.  Who is this guy that takes meetings at 4:00AM with such gusto?

And I wrote last night.  I read for a while until I went to bed, at a not unreasonable time.  And I remember stirring at 1:00AM, and, looking at my phone I reckoned I had plenty of time to twist back into oblivion. But the next time I rose it was 4:29AM.  And there was an email there on the phone from the person I was to have spoken with saying: “I waited on the bridge for fifteen minutes.  Let’s reschedule.” 

I cursed aloud.  Woke my wife.  Grabbed my clothes.  Trotted down the steps.  Nothing to be done.  It was all too late now.  No window dressing needed.  “I over slept it.  Let me know another time that works for you.”  My internal clock could not be counted on.  My internal bravado was misplaced.   Next week then. 




. . . And on another note, I am about to post four blogs.  This one, the most current of the four, was written today and it will be posted today.  That’s the first time I’ve been caught up since back in May.   Quiet work, against the self.  Five years and one day running.  Every day documented.  Two-points, John. 



Saturday 10/06/18


No comments:

Post a Comment