Thursday, October 4, 2018

Your Need to Feed





Yes.  By 10:00AM, I’m hungry. I’m very hungry.  I would usually be digesting a bowl of fruit and soy milk by now.  Shake it off.  Walk around.  Think about something else.  You're good. 



On any other morning I would have come down the stairs, plodded over to the fridge and poured a glass of grapefruit juice.  I probably would cut the taste, biting off a hunk of cheddar cheese.  My fruit, lots of it, I’d have consumed a few hours later, to see me through the work morning. 

This intermittent fasting routine is new for today.  Temper your need to feed.  I tell myself this will not be hard. The black coffee is lame without the milk, but it’s a small compromise.  And there is worm of desire crawling about in my gut.  And the sneering voice of John Lydon is up in my mind: “Ignore it, and it will go away.  One more sob-story."



One of the things that is attractive about this particular approach to eating is that when the fasting is done, you can eat what you want.  It gets tiresome to make a pasta dinner for the family and not eat any yourself, eat around the skins of the dumplings and only have the fillings.  Order the table of six, five bowls of rice, as you’re not having any.  When I break this fast I can supposedly eat as I please.   

One thing is clear.  When I break this fast, the first bite will be remarkable.  



Monday, 8/27/18


No comments:

Post a Comment