Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Go Out and Fetch One





What do you guys want for dinner?  I had the garage door open and was ready to cycle over to the grocery and get two bags full of fixings to bring home and eat.  I’d made Italian the night before.  I’d made huevos rancheros three mornings out of the last four.  I was prepare to make a quiche or some saag paneer, but the older one, the lactose intolerant one, called down from on high and asked for mac-n’   cheese. “Really?”  “Yeah.” 



Cycling over I made a jolly fool of myself air gesticulating to Toots and the Maytals “Funky Kingston.”  Who wouldn’t?  “Everybody!”  I was transformed back to undergraduate school when the band played this and played it well.  No small task to capture this sound and most importantly of all this raspy, raspy voice.   Ahh.  I’ve got to go out and fetch one.

At the market (read: “corner bodega”) they defied me to leave without spending a $100.00.  Certainly, I could not.  Two boxes of M&C were cheap enough.  But then there’s the breakfast fruit and the sausages I’ll toss in the carnivorous bowl.  The olives and the cheese and the grapefruit juice that I’ll be thankful for when I stroll into the kitchen in the morning once I’m up early. 

And M&C is fast.  You can say what you will but I can assemble that particular dinner very, very quickly.  Perhaps that is what they had in mind when they orderd it.  Dad will make this, unlike many of his other more experimental dishes, quickly. 




And it all disappears quickly as well.  It’s not my favorite dish.  A bit of this and a dash of that might have helped but it’s done.  And they are fed.  "that's what I got for you."



Wednesday 6/13/18



No comments:

Post a Comment