Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Structural Problems, He Suggested





The elevator door closed and one young man shook his head and said: “that class sucked.”  I, the professor standing behind him, was certainly not supposed to hear that.  The young man, realizing his faux pas, excused himself and began to credibly comment that it wasn’t my teaching that had frustrated him, but rather it was the complete lack of energy from his fellow students. 

So we talked.  And we walked.  I was heading home.  So was he.  There were structural problems, he suggested.  And people were coming from multiple different campuses.  Everyone was staying within their safety zones.  No one was following up on the last person’s questions.  Everyone seemed to be out for themselves only.  This was not what it was like in the best classes back on his home campus. 



He was intelligent.  He was passionate and I was very glad I got to overhear his unfiltered assessment.  I knew what he was talking about.   I’d been pushing them to get their presentations ready.  I needed to let it breathe.  I need to be a bit more provocative.  We parted, in a friendly, candid way.  Now I had my homework.  Fortunately, I knew what I needed to do. 



Fortunately, there were provocative materials scheduled for tomorrow.  The opening article considered the ethics of profiting from the worlds’ poor.  Everyone was to arrive with an article on the topic.  I’m exhausted.  I’ll get a bit of rest.  And then we’ll get to work, orchestrating some more vibrant debate.



Saturday 6/09/18



No comments:

Post a Comment