Sunday, September 2, 2018

I Had Rapport Here





Perhaps Beijing has them too.  We just don’t have as much of a pedestrian experience in Beijing, outside of the old city walls to bring one up upon a small, hidden place .  The few blocks east of Xizang Road walking away from the People’s Square is hardly one of the hipper spots in old Puxi.  But increasingly there are quite a few café’s mixed in among the plumbing supply shops.  These newly minted joints, that have little more than room for an espresso maker and a few stools seem to be located on every corner.  I’ve got one I go to near the campus where I teach. 

I haven’t been there in a year but I feel like I know it well. I don’t mean to, but I approach as if people there should know me.  I had a rapport here a year ago this time.  And I sauntered up today with little time to spare before I needed to be in front of my the students and stood patiently behind a young lady who was placing her order.  Stay calm.  My turn.  I say it with a fer when I should say it as a fen down here where shi’s are si’s.



Ahh, the young girl told me a certain amount.  I suspected that wasn’t right.  “How did you calculate that?  I asked.  As suspected she added 3 kuai for the second shot and 13 kaui for the third.  But that won’t do, young lady.  Let’s walk through this.  The triple should only be an additional three yuan. 

I walk her through all this, rather pedantically.  She replies sheepishly that she cannot.  The machine will not let her.  “The machine doesn’t matter love.  We can figure this out.”  I’m creating a scene that I didn’t intend to create.  “I come here all the time.  Your logic doesn’t make sense.  Just enter the amount as 16.”  I put 16 down.  Another kid tries to explain.  But I persist and he rolls his eyes.



She capitulates and enters the charge as 16.  I try to make the best of it. I’ll be back tomorrow and the day after.  They’ll get used to me. 



Monday 5/21/18



No comments:

Post a Comment