Monday, January 10, 2022

About This Prom Dance




Red Hook.  No, I haven’t been here in a long time.  Driving to the main town square there is nothing that I recognize.  There are several nearby towns that I have memories of which span half a century.  But not here.  My younger one spent the night here last night at her friend’s house.  Her pal had invited her, a junior to attend the senior prom with her.  We got photos of them out on the town.  And texts to suggest that it was proving loud and boring rather than a rollicking adventure. 

 

This young lady lives in a house out of town in a wooded area not unlike ours.  I’m admiring some of the large black locust trees they have here, but when I get out of the car there is a loud, aggressive barking and I’d just as soon wechat my daughter than confront Fido.  When she and her friend pop outside I ask her where one should go in Red Hook for lunch?  Indeed, she has a few opinions. 



Bubby’s Take away kitchen is right there on West Market Street like she said it would be.  But we drive on, past Route 9 till we spy the Yum Yum Noodle Bar.  Normally I think we’d all turn our noses up and “Asian” food that hadn’t the decency to claim one or another tradition.  Who can possibly pull off pad thai, and bonmi and beijfang jiaozi and bento boxes.  The bar is set low as we take a seat outside and consider the menu. 



Good but not great, I suppose that’s all we were expecting.  The dumpling pi isn’t right.  The xianr doesn’t burst with favor.  But I have some sort of Kombucha drink and the shrimp in my noodles which all works well enough.  Bard students, I gather, two ladies are talking loudly at the adjoining table about how annoyed they are.  But to our left are some lovely flowers and we are beneath a handsome tree that I can’t quite identify and we’re both enjoying hearing about this prom dance from our little one.  She has some photos which are precious.   Unclear when I’ll next be back to Red Hook.

 

 

 

Tuesday, 6/15/21


No comments:

Post a Comment