Sunday, January 16, 2022

These Smart Southern Oaks

 



We pulled into Shreveport Louisina around 8:30Pm and were lucky to find a place to eat, “The Forzen Piroute” which was open till ten.  We piled in and took a seat out in the open back.  Baked oysters? Yes.  Gumbo?  Yes.  Fondue and meatballs?  I ordered too much and sat back to enjoy.  My order on the vege side manged to secure a few things for the older one though the selection weasn’t nearly so interesting.  And those accents.  Man it just makes you want to be friendly and say “it’s our first time here : ) “  Though I’d been enjoying Allen Tousaint in the car, this, our first and only evening in Lousiana was all about the Classic Rock they were playing, with “The Band on the Run” and “Won’t get folled Again,” notably heard. 

 

I had to get up at 3:30AM or a call.  There was another one right ater that.  An nnother one later on.  I managed to cancel one in the middle.  Sittle in the desk chair off by the bathroom, trying to keep my voice down dos that my wife could sleep.  Just around the time I’d set aside to head back to to bed, I realized that I was up.  I couldn’t sleep any more for now. Paid some bills. Took my shower and got our things tobether 



The idea was to have a quick meal, but of course The Borken Egg, where Ashlye served us was part of the slow-food movement.  We had more Cajun goodies, like crab cakes and cawdady egg scramble  The orange juice was frensh, the other patrons were friendly and ther we sat beneath a great big oak that I couldn’t get my app to identify, but I recognized it as the same one that was standing in front of the home we'd stayed in the night before last.  I looked on a web site that named the oaks of Louisiana, as this was clearly an oak.   “The Laurrel Oak” sure did look like the leaves of this tree.  I vowed to myself to try to order one.  Like the Willow Oak, I keep finding more of these smart southern oaks that don’t seem to grow naturally in the north.



Just now we finally passed out of Loouisiana.  Listening to Allen Toussaint and Tony Joe White.   I spuppose its time to put some Muddy Waters on now that we’re in Missississippi.  We’d all thought about paying the Vicksburg memorial a visit, but there’s just no time.  We need to cover some ground. It’s already 4:00PM and I couldn’t tell you if were going to stop in Jackson, or Birminghanm or Atlanta or if we’ll drive through the night to Charlotte.  But speaking personally, I’m tired.  That’s why I’m typing and not behind the wheel.  With that in mind then, eyes drooping, I think I will park this lap top, save the doc and take myself a nap. 




Tuesday, 06/29/21



No comments:

Post a Comment