Sunday, January 16, 2022

What State Are You




Home at midnight from a week of driving on the road, it was good to raid our own refrigerator where there was sharp cheddar cheese and salted sunflower seeds waiting in the cabinets.  The Mrs. made some instant noodles with a big, boiled egg, which hit the spot and then, as they all drifted off to bed, I settled in for one call and then a second and by the time the third was one at sunup and I hit the bed hard and slept till midday.  



My sister and my nephew were up in town.  He’d texted me: “What state are you in?” Which I took initially to mean, which state of mind am I in.  Did we want to go across the Hudson east to see them at my mom’s?  Could we host them over here?  Friday was upon us, and we usually go for pizza but they’d had that just the night before.  I’d had my fill of driving and asked them to join us, over here and set out to the Main Course on Main Street, where I’d ordered more than enough food from.

 

Had I heard of “Summer of Soul?”  Yes.  I had.  Would you like to watch it tonight?  It’s premiering on Hulu?  Will you stay awake if we put it on?”  No hesitation there.  I wasn’t interested in seeing it at a theatre but sure, we had it on and sat dazzled by all the timely talent.  Have you seen it?  Many wonderful performances, and a deft treatment that largely allows the music to speak for itself.  And though there were many heroes that paraded across that stage and many, many moments to enjoy I suppose watching Mahalia Jackson asks Mavis Staples to help her sing, because she isn’t feeling so well only to have her crack the air like lightening.  Having Jessie Jackson explain the last moments of MLK at the Lorraine Motel after just having visited the place was similarly stirring.




 

I’d napped during the day, and everyone seemed to marvel that I hadn’t fallen asleep yet.  My mom and stepdad and sister headed off back home and my nephew stayed behind.  “Yes.” He’d be more than happy to watch the next four episodes of “Game of Thrones” with me.  I’d fallen behind the Mrs. somewhere in Season Six and had some catching up to do.  My nephew had encyclopedic knowledge of the characters and kingdoms and proved and invaluable viewing mate.  Wired, I outlasted even him who begged off after four episodes or so.  I listened to the theme music one last time and began the evening's final show. 

 

 

 

Friday, 07/02/21



No comments:

Post a Comment