Sunday, January 9, 2022

Takes You Right Through

 



Puttering around at 4:00AM.  Catching up with Trouble’s WFMU show from about sixteen hour earlier.  She played some Steve Hillage, an old hero, and it caught me off guard.  I got texting with a friend in Beijing amidst all the texting with the clients.  We agreed, she’s the best DJ ever.  And I wrote to him: “I never tire of her. When she laughs and says "Hello WFMU land," I believe.  When she talks about social justice, I believe.  When she talks about shopping at a record fair, I feel like I missed something important.”  This elicited hearty acknowledgement.

 

I don’t know just what possesses my little one when she does this, but I am always glad when she responds to my gesture, driving up the driveway: “do you wanna put on some tunes?” by throwing on The Beatles.  We drove into town signing “Help!” together, as we needed to visit the ATM at the Bank of America in the Tops mall there.  She seemed to want to play most of that album.  We’d watched the movie with her sister the other night and it was still fresh in our heads. 



Somewhere near the bridge, I asked and she found the early Beatles version of “Memphis Tennessee” from their live at the BBC sessions.  John sounds so young, and sincere, completely plausible, as always, singing about a town he’d never seen and six-year-old daughter he’d never fathered.  I’d had the Chuck Berry version in my mind for a few days now, as we’ve been contemplating a drive from here to Dallas and Route 40 takes you right through Memphis, Tennessee.   On the ride home WVKR played a soul tune entitled “Memphis Got Soul” which I contemplated with fresh ears. 



Was a bit late to meet my pop at the Millbrook Preserve.  We trapsed along the trails.  He has a role with the Preserve, helping with the management and the upkeep and he pointed out to me the handsome signs he’d prepared, guiding people to the left and to the right.  We crossed a roped off barrier of one trail and considered the pond that had burst its beaver dam in the rain and what had been a lake was now a swamp.  An egret beat her remarkable wings and flew off before we could even consider that she’d been there.

 

 

 

Friday, 06/04/21



No comments:

Post a Comment