Sunday, January 23, 2022

As He Stormed Through

 




I was up early enough.  So was my nephew.  I asked but he didn’t seem to want any breakfast.  Rather he was keen to talk to his cousin, but God only knew when that lady was going to rise from her slumbers.  She and her mother were heading into the city today. Somewhere around midnight my little one would be flying into Newark.  They were going to visit a friend of hers and generally make a day of it.  I would chill at home with my nephew. 



He was very keen to show me his Play Station Dungeons and Dragons game.  I dutifully watch as he stormed through Mordor slaughtering orcs with abandon.  Ever the social studies teacher I tried to discern just where it was we were in Mordor.  “Does this game have a map?”  “See there is Mount Doom.”  “Can you go to Mirkwood?”  No.  This all takes place in Mordor, which seemed a rather gloomy place to draw parameters on a game.  Slaughter.  More slaughter.  A bit of danger but then he prevailed and killed more orcs and spiders.  Leap over here.  Crash down on top over there.  I wish I could heal as quick as this guy.  I soon drifted off to sleep, such was the dramatic caliber of all this killing. 

 

He wasn’t into the idea but I talked him into a bike ride with me.  I hadn’t gone riding along the trail in over a week and was keen to get out.  He donned the one helmet we had and after I adjusted the seat on the extra bike we pedaled along through town and down to the bridge over the Wallkill by Springstown Road where as he’d noticed last time, the movie “The Quiet Place” had staged a murder scene. 


 

A fellas night, I made chips and salsa, and a fine dinner of London Broil, baked potatoes and some peas with a salad.  TV dinner it would be.  Just the fellas.  I don’t usually get to do such a thing.  Binge watch ‘Game of Thrones’ while we pile down this food and wait for the ladies to return with his other cousin?  Aye.  That we did.  And once again, I stayed up after everyone else had retired, determined to see this damned series to its end.  Where was I now?  Only a few eipsodes left in season seven and then off to the final year.  

 

 

 

Saturday, 07/03/21

 

No comments:

Post a Comment