Saturday, January 8, 2022

Iron Into the Earth

 



Plodding around down in the patch of land I’ve been randomly planting things in I noticed a punk pumpkin seedling shooting up.  I must have planted a few hundred different seeds down here. My technique, maximum-rudimentary.  I’ve a trowel.  I’ve a bag of seeds.  I open the bag of seeds and put the twenty-odd pumpkin seeds into my hand.  I thrust the pointed iron into the earth.  Toggle the towel back and forth and drop two seeds, always at least two, into the earth.  Then I roughly cover up the gash with dirt and move on, until the three or four bags in my back pocket have been deposited.



There are many flaws with this.  I know.  I do not weed the territory.  Can’t be bothered.  I do not come back and water anything.  There’s plenty of rain.  I have no interest in adding fertilizer nor ‘miracle’ grow chemicals or in any way assist the seeds I’ve Johnny-apple-seeded, there into the earth.  I have the romantic idea that they will, eventually spring up and that some of them, this year or some time will sprout forth and fill this flat, rectangular field with various vine-like

 

I appreciate that the hit rate would be better if I put some work into it.  Weeding isn’t just a nice concept.  Since the earliest cultivators, humans understand that clearing out competitors would allow plants a better chance to grow.  But for this year at least, I really just wanted to see if this approach would yield anything at all. 



It’s 10;00PM here now, staring at the page.  I’m tired.  I’ll head off to bed.  I could probably be more effective with a clear rested mind in the morning.  There’s rain out tonight and I hope it is doing my informal patch well.  Certainly, they should all have enough to drink.  I want a pumpkin patch for the fall, right beside the trail. 

 

 

 

Monday, 05/24/21



No comments:

Post a Comment