Sunday, December 5, 2021

Brightly, Near the Throne

 





It is snowing.  We’ll get another few inches.  The plowman confirmed he’d come by.  I ring my mom.  She’s OK.  My dad says it’s unlikely he’ll want to go for our Friday morning walk together.  Let’s call one another to confirm.  By the later afternoon the snow’s stopped and I head south for a cloudy, run down to the apple orchard on my skis.  There is a dense under pack that is now covered with four or five inches of powder and it isn’t easy to decide which tracks to follow, though on the way home it’s clear that I follow the tracks I made myself on the way out. 




Xie Ling-Yun and I became acquainted this morning.  J.D. Frodsham suggests that “As a nature poet he is unsurpassed:  his verse resounds with the roar of mountain-torrents, is redolent of the scent of wind tossed pines.”  Hailing from Henan during the Liu-Song, in the early fifth century, of an illustrious heritage, he died, like so many of the luminaries who shone too brightly, near the throne, Wrongly accused, he was executed under imperial order, while in exile in Guangzhou.




 

I Follow the China-chu Torrent, Cross the Peak and Go Along by the River

 

When the monkeys howl, I know that dawn has broken,

Though yet no sun has touched this shadowed valley.

Around the peaks the clouds begin to gather,

While down still glistens brightly on the flowers.

My path winds round beside a curving river,

Then climbs far up among the rock-bound crags.

With gown held high, I wade the mountain torrent,

Then toil up wooden bridges ever higher.

. . .

 

Bao Zhao, who lived shortly after Xie Ling-Yun was another passionate rhapsodic who was under appreciated and who died violently.  Enjoyed considering some of his work this morning as well:  This seems like it could have been something out of the old west or a New York subway:

No. 6

 

At table I could not eat,

I drew my sword and hacked at a pillar

Heaving long sighs.

‘How long does life drag on?

How long must I limp round

With folded wings?

. . .

 

Tonight change my routine and stay up late.  I have a call at one in the morning and where I’d usually nap for a few hours I ride it out all the way, have the weekly call and head off to bed, rising the next morning much more refreshed than I usually am on my Fridays.

 

 

 

Thursday, 02/18/21

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment