Saturday, December 11, 2021

He Repeated It Back

 





Trouble aired this about twenty-two hours ago and I wasn’t able to listen as it happened, but it sounds wonderful the subsequent morning to see what my favorite dee-jay has served up this week on 'This Is the Modern World.'  Francois Breut, Le Premier Bonheur du Jour, my first flight.  Marvelously irksome there at the end of the track.  There’s nearly always a gentle onramp to her program. 



Supposed to head up to Rosendale this morning to meet my pop.  I suggested the same rail trail that’s out my back yard, up at the furthest point I’ve ever biked it.  The trail is still covered in hard pack and I’m sure that’s what it’ll be up there as well.  I looked at the forecast and we’re below freezing all day long.  Like I told the plumber the other day:  “March is a long month.”  He repeated it back to me. 




Its crazy early.   But its worth savoring.  Not too many hours ago, ninety-two minutes ago to be precise, close-of-business-Friday came and went in China.  The weekend kinda feels like it started here in New York as well.  Trouble has some old swing up on the mix.  Not familiar with Andy Kirk, but I’ve read before about the groovy pianist Mary Lou Williams.  I’m considering some of the different reading I’d like to indulge in.  My main effort is now back with the Shang Dynasty and funeral rituals and how they different from Mesopotamian and Mediterranean customs from the same period. The Greeks didn’t do human sacrifice at death.  There weren’t well ordered, familial funerary either. And the weekends are when I pretend to be enrolled in two of the courses my older daughter is taking at her college.  Any moment now I’m going to grab Jonathan Lear’s “Freud” and head out to the bathroom and learn about transference which I don’t really understand at all. 

 

How wonderful that the well of recorded Jamaican brilliance from the 60s and 70s is veritably inexhaustible.  Well, well mined.  Mind you.  The world’s most well-recorded population not only made records but they’ve been well preserved.  Trouble just had on a reggae cover of “Sweet Caroline” by Hubert Lee, which I’ve never heard before, ever.  The French bird-call track now quacks on behind her.

 

 

 

Friday, 03/05/21



No comments:

Post a Comment