Sunday, December 12, 2021

Faint Red Hue At

 



Trying to keep things moving forward.  We are reading this large book “History” put out by the Smithsonian. Every two-page fold is a new theme “The Rise of Islam”, “Celtic Warriors” that makes for a good, bite sized fifteen-minute lesson.  What I’ve been reduced to is either one of these per night, usually at dinner or getting to read a novel to my little one, but not both, maybe .  Alas, days often go by where neither happens.  Just like that, sometimes. 




Tonight, I was granted permission to teach something from the big History text. After a straight run with two pages on the Tang, two on the Song, followed by an obligatory fold for Genghis and his progeny during the Yuan, followed again by a Ming fold.  One does feel a bit like they’re trying to get this out of the way,  somehow.  The chapter that follows was on the Samurai of Japan and tonight we look at the remarkable Chosen Dynasty that last twice the length of the nearest comparable Chinese dynasty considering the wise king Sejong and his remarkable feat with hangul. 

 

It’s lovely outside today, warmer and spring like everything is still barren across the field as I bike down to Gardiner.  If you look closely you can imagine the buds on the tips of the trees beginning to turn creating a faint red hue at the canopy.  But most things are churning, preparing, swirling out of site, combining melted snow and longer lite and softened soil into a slow-motion explosion.  




I’ve a dinner in mind.  When I return I will use that sesame seiten glob in the fridge to make something that is has soy and garlic and more sesame seeds. There are a few big leaves of organic kale I got up at Adams that look remarkable and sometimes those things are best cooked Cantonese style, hot and quick.  I’d thought about some ma po do fu, but the soft tofu I bought, sitting up on the fridge top shelf is now, somehow frozen.  Cauliflower then, with some mushroom.  But when I get home I notice they aren’t back yet and no one has made any rice so dinner will be a while.




Monday, 03/22/21



No comments:

Post a Comment