Thursday, December 30, 2021

Vacuity Is Dependent On

 



Man, is it really true?  The New York Times has an article today that I didn’t really want to read.  Fortunately, I can still remember it.  If I keep on the way I’m doing, this article suggests, I may not be able to do so for long.  The inescapably accusatory title of the article was: “Sleeping Too Little in Middle Age May Increase Dementia Risk, Study Finds.”   Guilty, certainly. 

 

I went to bed at 11:00PM.  I was back up at 4:30AM.  I fall asleep early, generally and get up a bit earlier than I would naturally.  And if necessary, I take a nap during the day.  But this article was suggesting that none of this mattered.  Naps wouldn’t suffice to keep off the dreaded Al.  The body needs more than mere naps afford.  Reading about the profile, it seemed there was a bullseye between my droopy, tired shoulders.




Is it safe to assume I’m in the clear, just because my parents all have their faculties?  Rather, my propensity to incur the wrath of this vile vacuity is dependent on the one thing I seem better able then most people, to play fast and loose with.  I don’t mind getting up early.  When it’s time to sleep, my body will not be deterred and I’m pulled to somnambulance, mid-sentence. Early's fine and that's fortuitous.  This allows me to run a "global" business easily enough from New York.  But these are some pretty steep taxes to consider coming due in the next decade or two. 



Up and cogent just now, till the wee-hours and normally I’d be happy about the fact that sleep hadn’t claimed me yet.  I need to rise achingly early, tomorrow, Wednesday, which I can do, but now my actions have me nervous and resentful.  Grumpy, grouchy, and yes, sleepy and I want to push back on all the people I committed to speaking with, thinking about the inescapability of that article.  And as my medieval ancestors might have placed their faith in an icon or some relic of the Savior, my salve, my lucky rabbit’s foot, is science.  Surely science, will discern a cure for this scourge, something we will be able to ingest.  It's that or better adapt to there only being twenty-four hours in a day. 

 

 

 

Tuesday, 4/20/21

 

No comments:

Post a Comment